IPX end station startup

Post by Clive Carmoc » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone highlight for me the procedure when an IPX end station starts
up when a preferred server is configured?

Does it still issue a get nearest server request?

Regards
Clive

IPX end station startup

Post by Lawrence L. Baldwi » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Can anyone highlight for me the procedure when an IPX end station starts
> up when a preferred server is configured?

> Does it still issue a get nearest server request?

> Regards
> Clive

Yes.

Packet
1. GNS
1a. If no respone then GGS (Get General Server)
2. Attach to FIRST server that responds--irrespective of PS setting
3. Query that servers bindary and look up IPX network # for PS
4. RIP for IPX network of PS
5. Connect to PS

Newer shells (e.g. VLMs) may not following this exact procedure. I think
that some shells may be smart enough to connect directly to the PS if
it  is one of the servers to respond to the GNS---but I have never seen
this on an analyzer yet.

Lawrence Baldwin  - Network Analysis Services
System Management Tech., Inc.
voice: (718) 995-5542

1. Bay ANH - TR End Station ARP Type???

I have recently installed two ANHs to an exisiting  (RIP2) network. The
config was quite simple, two interfaces to setup - one serial (connected to
a X.21 leased line) and one network interface configured for IP. Any way I
cheated and copied the config from another (off line but working) router,
re-did the network interface because I needed to change the IP address.
Saved the config, turned on the router - it worked, no problems. I did a
second using the same method, just used the next available IP - it worked -
or so I thought. The other ends of the lease lines both went to the same ASN
(in a stack of 4). Later on I noticed both routers were up and down like
mad, lots of lags and drop outs although I could access both most of the
time.

For a while I thought our leased lines were the problem, but they proved
okay. Then I noticed while I downed one of the routers the other began to
behave fine. As soon as both routers were online I had problems again. I did
a ping test and on one occasion the ping told me that 100.1.12.1 was not
reachable - this was the IP address of the router I had copied the config
from. I did a report on the config files of my new routers and found this
reference:

                TR End Station ARP Type (wfIpIntfCfgUnnumAsocAddr) =
100.1.12.1

Now I had not changed the serial interface in any of the configs so I used
Site Manager to look through the settings, I also looked through the network
interface settings as best I could but I could not find any reference to
this IP being in the config. In the end I used the set command directly to
set the IP to that of the network interface.

Another thing I had found was that if I plugged the lease lines into
diffrent ASNs in the stack thay worked fine, it was only if they were on the
same ASN did thay play up.

I cannot find where in Site Manager I can change this TR setting, does
anybody know? - Also the description of this setting is very vague in the
books I have, does anybody know its practical use? It also seems to indicate
the setting is either STE or ARE. My config is set to STE under the IP
interface section.

Thanks

Tony Collin

2. No icons

3. Problem with IPX stations and C3550

4. OS Bindings for LAttice C5 on the Falcon

5. How to connect station WIN95/98/nt40 to removed network IPX through TCP/IP

6. Can I use a cg3 in SS20 ????

7. What's Sun Sparc station IPX?

8. Low-end Cisco router for IPX

9. Ratio of Station-to-Station to Billable Call Volume?

10. Creating new stations in MAT station admin

11. tracking station-to-station calls on Option 11e