Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Tim » Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:03:10

I bought this router on Ebay, but cannot connect to it using the Cisco Fast
Step application with either the LAN connection or the console cable. The OK
LED is OFF (other LEDs are ON), and when I try to connect using
HyperTerminal I get the following:

TinyROM version 1.0(2)
Mon Nov 02 17:14:21 1998
Copyright (c) 1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

POST ....

It just seems to hang at this point.  Is there anything else I can do here,
or is this a hardware problem?

Thanks for any help...

Tim

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Anthon » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:56:26

Within the first 60 seconds of boot, enter the break sequence. Similar
to what you see in the password recovery proceedure here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_800.html

Once in Rommon do a dir flash: and post the output here.

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Martin Kaye » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 04:52:17

If your 803's serial number is in this range:

For Cisco 801 - 805
JAC443XXXX - JAC0505XXXX

Then you have a known bug which has a workaround and can be cured with an
IOS update.

If you have a Cisco login then this is the link you need:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps380/products...

If not, then here is the text from the article

Products Affected
  a.. Cisco 801
  b.. Cisco 802
  c.. Cisco 803
  d.. Cisco 804
  e.. Cisco 805
  f.. Cisco 811
  g.. Cisco 813

Problem Description
  Cisco 801-805 and Cisco 811 and 813 boots into TinyROM upon power up or
after saving any configuration from the console port utilizing Cisco IOS
Software ? release 12.1(3) and later. The affected units serial numbers are
listed below:

  For Cisco 811 and 813
  JAB0447XXXX - JAB0511XXXX

  For Cisco 801 - 805
  JAC443XXXX - JAC0505XXXX

  In the examples above, the X represents any character.

Background
  A manufacturing test script set all the affected unit's configuration
registers to 0X0 (instead of the correct default 0X2102) and a new "feature"
or bug fix implemented in Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(3) first checks
the config-register for a value of 0x0 and if there is no boot-list. If both
are true then TinyROM changes the "boot action" to "none", and therefore
does not boot Cisco IOS Software, leaving the console at the TinyROM prompt.
Problem Symptoms
  Cisco 801-805 and Cisco 811 and 813 that fall in the above serial number
range boot to either TinyROM upon power up or boot to TinyROM after
upgrading to Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(3) and later and saving the
configuration via the console port.
Workaround/Solution
  For a unit that falls between the above serial number range and has been
shipped with an Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(3) or later the problem can
be resolved by entering the following TinyROM commands:

    1.. At power on, the router will boot into TinyROM.

    2.. From TinyROM prompt enter:
   set boot-action=flash
   set ios-conf=0x2102
   save

    3.. Re-boot and it will come up in IOS.
  For a router that falls between the above serial number range and has been
shipped with an Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(2) or earlier and will be
attempting to upgrade to Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(3) or later please
issue the following IOS commands:

    1.. At power up, the router will boot into IOS.
    2.. From IOS prompt issue the commands below:
    ena
    config t
    conf 0x2102
    exit
    write
3.. Re-boot is optional.

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Tim » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:22:54

I found this information on the Cisco website and tried it, but there is no
response at all from the router.

A> Within the first 60 seconds of boot, enter the break sequence.
A> Similar
A> to what you see in the password recovery proceedure here:

A> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_800.html

A> Once in Rommon do a dir flash: and post the output here.

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Tim » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:23:49

Serial number begins with JAB030...

> [...]

MK>    set boot-action=flash
MK>    set ios-conf=0x2102
MK>    save

MK>     3.. Re-boot and it will come up in IOS.
MK>   For a router that falls between the above serial number range and
MK> has been
MK> shipped with an Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(2) or earlier and
MK> will be
MK> attempting to upgrade to Cisco IOS Software release 12.1(3) or later
MK> please
MK> issue the following IOS commands:

MK>     1.. At power up, the router will boot into IOS.
MK>     2.. From IOS prompt issue the commands below:
MK>     ena
MK>     config t
MK>     conf 0x2102
MK>     exit
MK>     write
MK> 3.. Re-boot is optional.

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Uli Lin » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:47:08

Tim schrieb:

Quote:> I bought this router on Ebay, but cannot connect to it using the Cisco Fast
> Step application with either the LAN connection or the console cable. The OK
> LED is OFF (other LEDs are ON), and when I try to connect using
> HyperTerminal I get the following:

> TinyROM version 1.0(2)
> Mon Nov 02 17:14:21 1998
> Copyright (c) 1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.
> All rights reserved.

> POST ....

> It just seems to hang at this point.  Is there anything else I can do here,
> or is this a hardware problem?

After the word POST the installed DRAM and FLASH should appear. If the
POST (=Power On Self Test) does not complete your hardware has a serious
problem.

Before dumping the router you can try to remove the DRAM SIMM and the
Flash. If the router boots into the TinyROM, you can try to replace DRAM
and Flash. Else it is probably dead.
I recently got a C836 replaced, it was eleven month old and still under
warranty with the same symptom.

--
Uli

Cisco 804 ISDN router hangs booting into TinyROM

Post by Uli Lin » Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:51:06

Have you verified the console cable? It is not a null-modem neither a
straight-through cable.

--
Uli

1. Newbie Question Cisco 804 Router TinyRom Upgrade

I have the new responsibility for maintaining the Remote Isdn 804's
and upgrading the IOS to incorporate firewall, vpn and other features.
At the same time I would like to upgrade the Tiny rom to 1.4. which
I have of one 804.  Can I copy the Tinyrom to Dram memory then
TFTP transfer the image to the server?  and then use it to upgrade
the existing TinyRom 1.0.(2).

It is probably a trivial question but I would appreciate the answer
and the specific syntax to accomplish the task.

TIA

John Flynn

2. 'Natural' Keyboards

3. Cisco 804 TinyROM deletion?

4. Catching window system events (MS Windows)

5. Call for Papers: HPCA-8 Work-In-Progress Session

6. IGRP or EIGRP on 804 cisco ISDN Router !!

7. FS: Cisco 804 - IOS based ISDN Router

8. FS: NEW Cisco 804 ISDN Routers

9. Cisco 804 ISDN Router

10. FS: Cisco 804 ISDN router

11. FS: Cisco 804 ISDN BRI Router