Cisco Price Check / Reality Check

Post by Tom Feli » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

All,

I'm in the process of buying a Cisco 7206 Router for our shop and, frankly,
it looks like it's going to cost me much more than I originally imagined. I
was hoping that someone who knows something about Cisco products could look
over the pricing and features I have been quoted and let me know if it all
smells right. I'm really wondering if I need everything here and if there
are any ways to lower the overall price.

I was quoted by Solunet for the following:

Cisco 7206 Chassis (CISCO7206) - $3,550
7200 Network Processing Engine, 150Mhz (NPE-150) - $3,550
7200 Fast Ethernet Input/Output Controller (C7200-I/O-FE-MII) - $2,130
7200 Series IOS IP Only Feature Set (SF72C-11.2.2) - $2,130
32MB RAM Upgrade (Generic) - $245
7200 I/O PCMCIA Flash Memory, 16MB Option (MEM-I/O-FLC16M) - $781
4-Port Serial Port Adapter (PA-4T) - $3,550
7200 Series InterDomain Routing License (FR-IR72) - $2,414
7200 Series NetFlow License (FR-NF72) - $2,414
7206 Modular Router Base, 6-Slot, SMARTNet M (CON-SNT-7206) - $3,000
ATM CES Port Adapter; 4T1 CES Ports and 1 T3 ATM Port (PA-A2-4T1C-T3ATM) -
$8,520

Total: $32,284

I have particular questions about whether I need the Fast Ethernet version
of the I/O controller, the extra flash memory, the inter-domain routing
license (we're doing BGP), and NetFlow (Can it do anything that MRTG
can't?).

Thanks for your time and help,

Tom Feliz
TST On Ramp, Inc.

Post by Barton F. Bru » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> All,

> I'm in the process of buying a Cisco 7206 Router for our shop and, frankly,
> it looks like it's going to cost me much more than I originally imagined. I
> was hoping that someone who knows something about Cisco products could look
> over the pricing and features I have been quoted and let me know if it all
> smells right. I'm really wondering if I need everything here and if there
> are any ways to lower the overall price.

> I was quoted by Solunet for the following:

> Cisco 7206 Chassis (CISCO7206) - $3,550
> 7200 Network Processing Engine, 150Mhz (NPE-150) - $3,550
> 7200 Fast Ethernet Input/Output Controller (C7200-I/O-FE-MII) - $2,130
> 7200 Series IOS IP Only Feature Set (SF72C-11.2.2) - $2,130
> 32MB RAM Upgrade (Generic) - $245
> 7200 I/O PCMCIA Flash Memory, 16MB Option (MEM-I/O-FLC16M) - $781
> 4-Port Serial Port Adapter (PA-4T) - $3,550
> 7200 Series InterDomain Routing License (FR-IR72) - $2,414
> 7200 Series NetFlow License (FR-NF72) - $2,414
> 7206 Modular Router Base, 6-Slot, SMARTNet M (CON-SNT-7206) - $3,000
> ATM CES Port Adapter; 4T1 CES Ports and 1 T3 ATM Port (PA-A2-4T1C-T3ATM) -
> $8,520

> Total: $32,284

> I have particular questions about whether I need the Fast Ethernet version
> of the I/O controller, the extra flash memory, the inter-domain routing
> license (we're doing BGP), and NetFlow (Can it do anything that MRTG
> can't?).

The discountable items all seem to be at 29% off which is good for
cisco unless you buy a $$LOT$$.

Some general comments:

Buy your OWN pair of generic 32meg 60ns PARITY SIMMs and then you can
add them to the pair of 16s in there now giving you 96meg - lots of
breathing room.

You MUST put the larger pair in the first 2 slots - move the smaller
ones to the 2nd pair of slots or use them in 2501s.

Adding 2 more 16 meg simms is silly because it fills all your
slots and you only then have 64 meg.

The FLASH is generic Intel PCMCIA FLASH and so get the smallest
you can from cisco and buy MORE elsewhere. You have 2 slots, anyway.

The I/O controller without ethernet is $1000 rather than $3000 with
100 meg etherent. This is the LEAST expensive 100meg you ever will get
from $cisco$ and doesn't eat an extra slot!

From your config, you are going DS3 into 4 T1s. Perhaps all your
traffic is really in and out all over ATM and you have no local
LAN needs, but normally you NEED that port for any other colocated
routers. It can be run 10 or 100 meg full or half duplex. **DO**
get the Canary rather than the ATI MII tranceiver as it 1) fits
without savage surgery or a needless MII cable, and 2) makes
running 10 meg easier, too.

A router without an ethernet port is likely to need one in the future,
and this one can't be added later without creating a surplus
I/O controller you probably won't then want.

If you want slot economy, use the PA-8T rather than the PA-4T.

If you do go with the PA-4T, look for the + version (or am
I getting confused with some 4000 adapter?).

You don't "need" NETFLOW at this speed, and if you want to spend
money, consider the 200meg CPU instead.

You *DO* need the "INTERDOMAIN" license becaue you are running BGP
presumably to other ASes.

You probably also need the WAN Packet license, too, for ATM.
Perhaps this is the one they meant to quote.

Post by pab[remove_this » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

 > You don't "need" NETFLOW at this speed, and if you want to spend
 > money, consider the 200meg CPU instead.

The newer accounting capabilities of Netflow are useful to collect
information about the amout of traffic going/coming to different AS, and
to plan peerings accordingly.

 > You *DO* need the "INTERDOMAIN" license becaue you are running BGP
 > presumably to other ASes.
 >
 > You probably also need the WAN Packet license, too, for ATM.
 > Perhaps this is the one they meant to quote.

The WAN packet license isn't required for cell-based ATM connections,
altough it is for ATM-DXI.

        /pab
--
Paolo Bevilacqua, Cisco Systems
email: pab at cisco dot com

1. reality check needed for access lists on 2514 for internal only access to server

Here is the network problem:

Option 1:
Cisco 2514 with incoming and outgoing traffic to world on Eth#0.
link to dumb hub on Eth#1.
PC's with either DHCP or Statically defined IP's from world-routeable IP
subnet on hub.
Server on hub with 10.x.x.x address.

I want the PC's on the same to be able to get to the 10.x.x.x server and
back again, but noone from E0 to be able to see the 10.x.x.x address.  I
need the Server to do this with IP to support
Telnet sessions. Can an access-list and extended access-list make this work
or do I need to use NAT on the PC's to advertise them to the outside world
and use 10.x.x.x addresses on them?

Option 2:
Cisco 2514   with incoming/outgoing to world on Serial#0
link to dub hub on Eth#0
PC's with DHCP assigned IP's or static ips from world routeable block on the
hub.
Server directly connected to Eth#1 with 10.x.x.x ip address.

Again, I need the pc's off of Eth#0 to be able to connect to the server on
Eth#1, but no-one from Serial#0 can see/connect and Eth#1 should not
see/connect Serial#0 either.

Which of these is possible and if both, which is easier to configure?

I think I can do this with access-lists and policy-based routing with the
Cisco2514 telling the PC's where to find the server and passing everything
else out to the world and another router.

Thanks.

2. WMPI solves the problems with DVF 5.0

3. HSRP's Reality Check

4. Psion 3c

5. High Speed Access Reality Check

6. Trouble with shell-popd-regexp in GNU 17.49

7. ID Card Stories -- Reality Check

8. VMS License transfer fees

9. Reality Check re Toll Free NPRM

10. High Speed Access Reality Check

11. Reality Check

12. Wireless LAN - Reality Check...PLEASE

13. DSL for Business Reality Check