Cisco 1004--set up for DOSBS connections

Cisco 1004--set up for DOSBS connections

Post by John Baxte » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 01:09:43

We have a customer who wants to install a Cisco 1004 ISDN router (to
replace an Ascend Pipeline).

We can only take DOSBS ISDN calls through the central office he calls
(the CO's DMS-100 switch is not equipped to provide PRI service).

We have not yet found the configuration commands needed to set up DOSBS.

  ====
The user appears to make a connection lasting about 22 seconds, but not
authenticate, and the call drops.

  ====

There is another potential problem:  the user has probably set up his
router per the User Guide to authenticate using CHAP...we don't do CHAP
(although if necessary we could for this user).  I only started looking
at that part of the issue this morning...presumably the
ppp authentication chap
statement in the example in the User Guide chan be changed to
ppp authentication pap
and I'll contact the user about that this morning.

Thanks for your help!

Note:  the equipment taking the call on our end is a PortMaster 3 (our
Cisco AS5300 is used on other incoming T1s, but not the one the customer
comes in on).  So Cisco NAS debugging command advice won't help here,
unfortunately.

   --John
--

The primary cause of problems is solutions.

Cisco 1004--set up for DOSBS connections

Post by Vincent C Jon » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:52:58

22 seconds is the default Cisco timeout for authentication failures.
A "debug ppp nego" or "debug ppp authen" would tell you if the call is
going through and communications are occurring at the physical level.
That would tell you whether to debug the ISDN configuration or the PPP
configuration.

Good luck and good hunting!

Vincent C Jones

>We have a customer who wants to install a Cisco 1004 ISDN router (to
>replace an Ascend Pipeline).

>We can only take DOSBS ISDN calls through the central office he calls
>(the CO's DMS-100 switch is not equipped to provide PRI service).

>We have not yet found the configuration commands needed to set up DOSBS.

>  ====
>The user appears to make a connection lasting about 22 seconds, but not
>authenticate, and the call drops.

>  ====

>There is another potential problem:  the user has probably set up his
>router per the User Guide to authenticate using CHAP...we don't do CHAP
>(although if necessary we could for this user).  I only started looking
>at that part of the issue this morning...presumably the
>ppp authentication chap
>statement in the example in the User Guide chan be changed to
>ppp authentication pap
>and I'll contact the user about that this morning.

>Thanks for your help!

>Note:  the equipment taking the call on our end is a PortMaster 3 (our
>Cisco AS5300 is used on other incoming T1s, but not the one the customer
>comes in on).  So Cisco NAS debugging command advice won't help here,
>unfortunately.

>   --John
>--

>The primary cause of problems is solutions.

--
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Expert advice and a helping hand
Computer Network Consultant           for those who want to manage and

1. 1004 - 1004 connection issues

I'm trying to get two 1004's to talk to each other.

More specifically, I can get them to talk to each other (the ISDN link
is solid over both B channels) and pass RIP routing info (at least one
way), but the conenction won't hold for more than 120 seconds (oddly
enough, the exact setting of the T316 timer) before it drops and
reconnects.

I am unable to pass TCP or ICMP (telnet and ping) across the link.
Everything else looks fine.  Any ideas?

        -Mike

2. Epson Stylus Pro XL paper feed fun

3. Cisco 1004 vs. CiscoPro 1004

4. Help me with CPCTRANS and "Screen Designer"!

5. Ascend Pipline 50 or Cisco 750s, or Cisco 1004?

6. Sync every time?

7. cd-r discs cleaning

8. cisco 1004

9. PCMCIA flash problem on Cisco 1004 ISDN router

10. Reserved IP ranges and Cisco 1004 router

11. Cisco 1004 router

12. cisco 1004 need 2 ips?