"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Roy Iverse » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:20:18

Our Cisco dealer has set up a 2651XM with a E1 board and IOS 12.2 for us in
our branch office. The E1 is used for 30 POTS lines. A totalt of 100
telephone numbers has been assigned to these 30 lines. What we wanted to do
is to forward incoming calls back out the E1 to our main office in a
different country. And this is accomplished using the num-exp command.
However, when the calls arrive at our main office, the caller-id is that of
our 100 number series in our branch office, not the actual caller.

Is there some way to make the router send the original caller-id ?

Best Regards,
Roy Iversen

"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Dave Phelp » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:45:32

Quote:> Is there some way to make the router send the original caller-id ?

I'm assuming you are using IPT for interoffice calls over your data network.

How about transporting the call via IP to your main office rather than hairpinning the
call, and incurring LD charges, by using the PSTN?

--
Dave Phelps
DD Networks

"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Roy Iverse » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:41:59

Dave,

I'm not too familiar with IOS, so I'm not sure what IPT means. Anyway there
are no people or telephones at the remote location, it's a "virtual" office
so that we have a presence in the country, and local phone numbers. The data
network is currently not reliable enough to transport the voice calls, so we
send them back out over PSTN.

Is it correct to use the num-exp feature, and is it possible to send the
original caller-id ?

Roy

says...
> > Is there some way to make the router send the original caller-id ?

> I'm assuming you are using IPT for interoffice calls over your data
network.

> How about transporting the call via IP to your main office rather than
hairpinning the
> call, and incurring LD charges, by using the PSTN?

> --
> Dave Phelps
> DD Networks
> www.ddnets.com
> deadspam=tippenring

"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Phillip Remake » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:17:21

Quote:> What we wanted to do
> is to forward incoming calls back out the E1 to our main office in a
> different country. And this is accomplished using the num-exp command.
> However, when the calls arrive at our main office, the caller-id is that
of
> our 100 number series in our branch office, not the actual caller.

So when you forward, you want the ORIGINAL caller's number to appear as
caller ID, not the number of ther person forwarding the call, or of the
trunk line itself?

Are you doing a direct forward with dial peer?   That is, are you
terminating the one call amd placing a new one?  Is this forwarding by the
receptionist, or just a way of concentrating the toll charges in one
location for international calls?  In any case, if you look like you are
originating the call,  your provider may not allow a called-party number
that is not a number that is assigned to you.

I'm grasping some, but more details about your setup may be useful.

"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Dave Phelp » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:13:05

Quote:> I'm not too familiar with IOS, so I'm not sure what IPT means. Anyway there
> are no people or telephones at the remote location, it's a "virtual" office
> so that we have a presence in the country, and local phone numbers. The data
> network is currently not reliable enough to transport the voice calls, so we
> send them back out over PSTN.

IPT=IP Telephony. A more general term that encompasses all references to voice over
packet networks (VoIP, VoFR, VoATM, VoCH/BW [coathanger/barbed-wire]) rather than circuit
switched networks.

Why not just buy the numbers from the carrier and have them forward them at the CO? Very
few, if any, carriers in North America actually require you to have physical facilities.
I would expect it's not usually a requirement in other countries either.

In the configuration you have, you are having the router set up a new call to your main
location. The CLID will show the CLID that the router sent out during call setup. Some
carriers let you send any number (such as the original number of the caller you are
forwarding), and some carriers limit your outbound CLID to numbers that have been
assigned to your trunk group.

Either way, I don't know how to assign the outbound CLID with a router.

--
Dave Phelps
DD Networks

"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Roy Iverse » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:01:23

Dave,

Quote:> Why not just buy the numbers from the carrier and have them forward them

at the CO?
That's the problem. The country (Sweden) does not allow that, we need
physical facilities. I've confirmed with the telephone company that there is
no limitation on the outbound CLID.

Roy

says...
> > I'm not too familiar with IOS, so I'm not sure what IPT means. Anyway
there
> > are no people or telephones at the remote location, it's a "virtual"
office
> > so that we have a presence in the country, and local phone numbers. The
data
> > network is currently not reliable enough to transport the voice calls,
so we
> > send them back out over PSTN.

> IPT=IP Telephony. A more general term that encompasses all references to
voice over
> packet networks (VoIP, VoFR, VoATM, VoCH/BW [coathanger/barbed-wire])
rather than circuit
> switched networks.

> Why not just buy the numbers from the carrier and have them forward them
at the CO? Very
> few, if any, carriers in North America actually require you to have

physical facilities.

Quote:> I would expect it's not usually a requirement in other countries either.

> In the configuration you have, you are having the router set up a new call
to your main
> location. The CLID will show the CLID that the router sent out during call
setup. Some
> carriers let you send any number (such as the original number of the
caller you are
> forwarding), and some carriers limit your outbound CLID to numbers that
have been
> assigned to your trunk group.

> Either way, I don't know how to assign the outbound CLID with a router.

> --
> Dave Phelps
> DD Networks
> www.ddnets.com
> deadspam=tippenring

"Call forwarding" and caller-id

Post by Roy Iverse » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:19:02

Philip, thanks for helping out.

Let my try to clarify some things. Out headquarters are in Norway, but we
have a virtual branch office in Sweden, so we need local Swedish telephone
numbers. The swedish telephone companies cannot make a forward for us, they
require the numbers to be terminated at an office i Sweden. That's why we
bought the 2651XM with an E1 interface. Calls to the local swedish numbers
are "hairpinned" through the 2651XM to our office in Norway. This works
fine, except the caller-id when the call arrives in Norways is our local
swedish number, not the number of the swedish customer who is calling.

The swedish telephone company says whe should be able to send the correct
caller-id, they have no limitations.

Here's the config. At the bottom is an example of the num-exp command used
for forwarding the calls.

version 12.2
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
!
hostname Mamut-SVE-GW
!
logging queue-limit 100
!
voice-card 0
 dspfarm
!
ip subnet-zero
!
no ip domain lookup
!
isdn switch-type primary-net5
!
voice rtp send-recv
!
no voice hpi capture buffer
no voice hpi capture destination
!
mta receive maximum-recipients 0
!
controller E1 0/0
pri-group timeslots 1-31
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 10.0.10.5 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/0:15
no ip address
no logging event link-status
isdn switch-type primary-net5
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn sending-complete
no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
ip http server
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.10.1
!
call rsvp-sync
!
voice-port 0/0:15
cptone SE
!
mgcp profile default
!
dial-peer cor custom
!
dial-peer voice 10 pots
destination-pattern 0047........
no digit-strip
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0:15
!
num-exp 453 004790023619
!
end

Roy

1. Is "Call Waiting Caller ID" Different Than "Caller ID"?

CWID is supported by the V.92 protocol.

The "problem" I see in what you're trying to do is that the modem will
only pick up the CWID info while it it is off hook.

So, If you have broadband access to the 'net, and just want to use
your modem to act as a call-logger (incoming calls only), it will only
log "first calls", NOT calls coming in while you're already on the
phone.

I have a USR Courier V.Everything ... and I'm waiting fo the V.92
upgrade from their web site.

I think what you really need is something like a telephony card like a
Brooktrout or something like that.

Don Russell

2. Can anyone tell me if this page comes out weird? (or looks plain ugly?)

3. DataGrid vertical borders width

4. Energy Saver Control Panel (how does it work?)

5. Which octets are "PAP ID" and "CHAP ID"

6. FS: A3000/HD Floppy/3.1OS & more..

8. Caller ID box that lets me block "Out of Area" calls?

9. US West Test Northern Telecom's "Caller ID on Call Waiting"

10. How "Caller ID call waiting" works w/ISDN?

11. Caller-ID FAQ Update and "Never Say Never"