"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by mitch_.. » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 00:17:09

It's long bugged me that write term seemed to produce the output that
showed the interface descriptions fastest.  Maybe there's a useful
show command I've been missing, but show ip int brief doesn't give you
the descriptions, and show int gives you a lot more output per
interface than just looking at the config.  What if you just want a
quick look at all interface descriptions because you want to know
which port a device is on, or you can't remember if a particular
server is on the device you're in?

On a whim, I just tried "show int desc" on one of our 3500s, which
returns "unrecognized command" if you try context-sensitive help, and
I got an unformatted list of all interface descriptions.  Show
interface description works, too.  I can't find any such command on
CCO.  Looks like an undocumented command.

suggestion about the fastest show command to check interface
descriptions on a router?

Mitch

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by Joseph Ki » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:28:36

You can use following combinations.

"show interface | include Description" - "|" is output modifiers (pipe)

Check what you see then.

Good luck!

Joseph

ps. some Routers wouldn't support output modifers, depends on version of
IOS.

> It's long bugged me that write term seemed to produce the output that
> showed the interface descriptions fastest.  Maybe there's a useful
> show command I've been missing, but show ip int brief doesn't give you
> the descriptions, and show int gives you a lot more output per
> interface than just looking at the config.  What if you just want a
> quick look at all interface descriptions because you want to know
> which port a device is on, or you can't remember if a particular
> server is on the device you're in?

> On a whim, I just tried "show int desc" on one of our 3500s, which
> returns "unrecognized command" if you try context-sensitive help, and
> I got an unformatted list of all interface descriptions.  Show
> interface description works, too.  I can't find any such command on
> CCO.  Looks like an undocumented command.

> suggestion about the fastest show command to check interface
> descriptions on a router?

> Mitch

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by Hansang Ba » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:11:02

Quote:> You can use following combinations.

> "show interface | include Description" - "|" is output modifiers (pipe)

Would be a bit useless as the actual interface will not be included in the
output.

--

hsb

"Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding"  Calvin
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by mitch_.. » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:37:21

Quote:>> "show interface | include Description" - "|" is output modifiers
(pipe)

> Would be a bit useless as the actual interface will not be included in the
> output.

Actually, I found it useful.  Good suggestion.  I tried it, and I
would have to say it's the quickest way to check *what* is on a device
(at least by description), even if it doesn't show which port.  After
I get the quick feedback on whether what I want to check is on the
device, I can then dig further.

Also reminds me to make better use of piping output into other
commands.  Thanks again.

Mitch

Post by fmerr.. » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:51:33

Quote:>>> "show interface | include Description" - "|" is output modifiers
>(pipe)

>> Would be a bit useless as the actual interface will not be included in the
>> output.

>Actually, I found it useful.  Good suggestion.  I tried it, and I
>would have to say it's the quickest way to check *what* is on a device
>(at least by description), even if it doesn't show which port.  After
>I get the quick feedback on whether what I want to check is on the
>device, I can then dig further.

>Also reminds me to make better use of piping output into other
>commands.  Thanks again.

>Mitch

I guess it also depends on how descriptive your descriptions are!

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by Le » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:19:11

sh int | inc (Desc|line prot)
will display the interface and description

>  (pipe)

> >> Would be a bit useless as the actual interface will not be included in the
> >> output.

> >Actually, I found it useful.  Good suggestion.  I tried it, and I
> >would have to say it's the quickest way to check *what* is on a device
> >(at least by description), even if it doesn't show which port.  After
> >I get the quick feedback on whether what I want to check is on the
> >device, I can then dig further.

> >Also reminds me to make better use of piping output into other
> >commands.  Thanks again.

> >Mitch

> I guess it also depends on how descriptive your descriptions are!

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by fmerr.. » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:57:05

Quote:>sh int | inc (Desc|line prot)
>will display the interface and description

I played with it the other night trying to get this to work, but had
spaces, and apparently that made the difference!

Thanks, that's a cool little trick.

>>  (pipe)

>> >Actually, I found it useful.  Good suggestion.  I tried it, and I
>> >would have to say it's the quickest way to check *what* is on a device
>> >(at least by description), even if it doesn't show which port.  After
>> >I get the quick feedback on whether what I want to check is on the
>> >device, I can then dig further.

>> >Also reminds me to make better use of piping output into other
>> >commands.  Thanks again.

>> >Mitch

>> I guess it also depends on how descriptive your descriptions are!

"Show interface descripton." Well I'll be darned!

Post by Michael Starogardzk » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:42:52

Hi Hansang,

> > "show interface | include Description" - "|" is output modifiers (pipe)
> Would be a bit useless as the actual interface will not be included in the
> output.

What about
sh ru | include interface|description
(sorry for the 'passive-interface' lines)

or
sh int | include description|protocol

Bye

Mike*

PS: Thanks, I learned a lot that helps, by this thread. Never used these
ouptut modifiers before. Nice feature

1. How to get "show arp" and "show interface" from router via snmp?

The sysDescr for our router is: GS Software (GS3-F), Version
8.3(5)[fc3] SOFTWARE Copyright (c) 1986-1992 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 05-Aug-92 00:23 by mlw

I've been muddling through this, and it seems that not all of the
information I want is available from the mib, or if it is available,
it isn't where I am look for it.

I was able to get the following:

1) The number of interfaces on the router
   iso_org_dod_internet_mgmt_mib_interfaces_ifNumber_0

2) The type of interface
   ...mgmt_mib_interfaces_ifTable_ifEntry_ifType_$interface

3) The ethernet address for the interface
   ...mgmt_mib_interfaces_ifTable_ifEntry_ifPhysAddress_$interface

4) The IP address for the interface
   ...mgmt_mib_interfaces_ifTable_ifEntry_ifNetAddress_$interface

I need the subnet mask for each interface, in addition to these.
Where is the subnet mask for each interface stored?

I also would like to get the data that is in the arp cache via snmp
queries.

In the mib.txt file dated November 1992, there are a few "counter"
varibles for incoming and outgoing ARP packets, but I don't see the
whole arp cache table in the mib.

Is the arp table available?

Is it in the iso_org_dod_internet_mgmt_mib portion of the tree, or is
it in the iso_org_dod_internet_private_enterprises_9 portion of the
tree?

thanks in advance,
|                                                                      |

| Network Engineering       Data Communications and Computing Services |
| University of Pennsylvania                            (215) 898-9534 |

2. DTD=>XSD

3. Latex2e + babel + array

4. Local Director's "show connection" and "show real" TCP count.

5. site updated

6. Need "Show cam dyn" for only "local" cam's

7. Command "show run" does not show all interfaces

8. What is the difference between "show controller bri x" and "show interface bri x"

10. "aborts" in "show tacacs"