Vonage dropping calls every 20-30 mins: anyone else?

Vonage dropping calls every 20-30 mins: anyone else?

Post by Simo » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:07:04

Hi,

I am in general happy about my new Vonage service, but there is an
annoying persistent problem (has been like this pretty much from the
start): every 20-30 minutes during a conversation the call gets
disconnected, and I either do not get a dial tone after I hang up, or
get the dial tone after 5-10 seconds, but any number I call is busy.

I have to physically reboot my router (Linksys BEFSR41) and then the
phone box to get the service back. My theory is that the phone box
loses the DHCP address and then can't regain it (and at least once I
also lost Internet connectivity on the computer plugged into the same
router). I am on DSL.

Maybe it's some incompatibility between the phone box and the router.
Before I start pestering Vonage with this problem, I wonder whether
anyone else has seen it.

BTW - is there a way to telnet into the phone box to see its inner
state?

Thanks,
Simon

Post by Henning Follman » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:43:26

> Hi,

> I am in general happy about my new Vonage service, but there is an
> annoying persistent problem (has been like this pretty much from the
> start): every 20-30 minutes during a conversation the call gets
> disconnected, and I either do not get a dial tone after I hang up,
> or get the dial tone after 5-10 seconds, but any number I call is
> busy.

> I have to physically reboot my router (Linksys BEFSR41) and then the
> phone box to get the service back. My theory is that the phone box
> loses the DHCP address and then can't regain it (and at least once I
> also lost Internet connectivity on the computer plugged into the
> same router). I am on DSL.

I never experienced these problems with vonage. (I have the same
router but though with cable).

How about the DSL line? Probably your line is resetted after 20-30
minutes.  Please check how long is the leasing time in your DHCP
settings? And after a new DHCP request do you get the same IP address
again (should be).

Keep alive should not be necessary because during an IP-call plenty of
packages travel thru your router.

Quote:

> Maybe it's some incompatibility between the phone box and the
> router.  Before I start pestering Vonage with this problem, I wonder
> whether anyone else has seen it.

> BTW - is there a way to telnet into the phone box to see its inner
> state?

Theoretically yes, but the ATA is locked by vonage. I know there was a
howto out there how to unblock the ATA. But I think that way you lost
your configuration and had to reload it by tftp from vonage.

Quote:

> Thanks, Simon

HTH
Henning

--

http://www.itcfollmann.com

Vonage dropping calls every 20-30 mins: anyone else?

Post by Spark » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:39:01

A friend of mine had a similar problem with that router, whereas I did not
when I was using the Linky.  When she contacted Vonage, they told her that
they are able to make slight adjustments to the profile in the ATA if you
are having trouble with specific ISP/router combinations.  They did this for
her, and she hasn't had a single dropped call since.

I suggest that you email them right away.  Remember to put your account
number in the subject line for fastest response.

Sparky

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Scott Moor » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:23:30

> Hi,

> I am in general happy about my new Vonage service, but there is an
> annoying persistent problem (has been like this pretty much from the
> start): every 20-30 minutes during a conversation the call gets
> disconnected, and I either do not get a dial tone after I hang up, or
> get the dial tone after 5-10 seconds, but any number I call is busy.

I have never seen this on mine. Don't have a good answer for you.

1. @home 20-30 Drops a day (30 sec) and 1200 peak hour pings??

I've been with this for over 3 months. I get 20-30 drops a day for about 30
sec (www.cabletraffic.com logs the drops) and in the peak hours I get pings
1200 and cant play any on-line games which is why I bought the cable modem.
I've been to all the web site. http://www.2wire.com/services/bandwidth.asp
http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest.asp**
http://www.dslreports.com/ **

http://lh2.rdc1.sfba.home.com/download/install-12/win32/index.htm
***http://www.speedguide.net/index.shtml

 I had 6 tech to the house 3 rebuilds an E-mail address to head person Cell
phone # to the local tech. Still have to problem put in my dns, gateway
etc., took it out, unchecked everything. Anyone with any help??

Darin

2. test. Sorry!!!

3. Roadrunner connection dropping within 20-30 minutes

4. Outlook and Internet E/Mail

5. Why does the 760 dail the ISP every 20~30 mn ?

6. Reject Email from Specific User

7. USR VI 28.8 connection dies every time after 30 min

8. HPUX 9.05A and IP Multicast

9. xntp3 on sun4's resyncing time server every 30 min

10. aix4.1 err-makes step chg every 20 min

11. Losing carrier after 20-30 minutes online

12. Network with 20-30 PC computers

13. Line drops every 30 seconds regardless of activity