New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

Post by voipwa.. » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

VoIPWatch.com provides you with the latest Voice over IP news, surveys,
links, reviews, Q&A, acronym dictionary, mailing list, and more.

Consumers: Learn about VoIP and how it can save you money!
Service Providers: Keep up to date on industry shaping issues!

http://www.voipwatch.com

What is VoIP? Find out here:
http://www.voipwatch.com/about_us.php3?op=viewarticle&artid=7

HOT VoIP News: The future of VoIP in the U.S.
http://www.voipwatch.com/article.php3?sid=128

See what the strategic research companies think:

--Frost & Sullivan: http://www.voipwatch.com/article.php3?sid=101
--Gartner Group: http://www.voipwatch.com/article.php3?sid=106

VoIPWatch.com Site Features:

VoIP Home: http://www.voipwatch.com
VoIP News: http://www.voipwatch.com/search.php3
VoIP Links: http://www.voipwatch.com/links.php3
VoIP Dictionary: http://www.voipwatch.com/dictionary.php3
VoIP Survey: http://www.voipwatch.com/pollBooth.php3
About VoIPWatch.com: http://www.voipwatch.com/about_us.php3
VoIP Mailing List: The VoIP News

If you would like to join our mailling list please do so at
http://www.voipwatch.com

Thank you,

Ian Treibick
VoIPWatch.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Pete » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> http://www.voipwatch.com

http://www.spherecom.com/news/releases/coppermtn110800htm.htm

How about voice over DSL?

Post by D Beckman » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> > http://www.voipwatch.com

> http://www.spherecom.com/news/releases/coppermtn110800htm.htm

> How about voice over DSL?

Yes. DSL is going to replace IP.

Post by Arnold Ligtvoe » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

>> > http://www.voipwatch.com

>> http://www.spherecom.com/news/releases/coppermtn110800htm.htm

>> How about voice over DSL?

> Yes. DSL is going to replace IP.

Hahahahahaha [ROFL] Of course.....

Excuse me, yes I'm back in my chair. I think VoDSL is a nice technique to
use while VoIP is developed. At present time VoDSL has some nice pro's
but in the long run I see VoIP as the standard. Why you will ask, well
for one VoDSL is 'just' another technique to offer fairly cheap transport
off multiple voice/data channels over one pair of copper wire, but there
is no integration between data and voice, so on a service level there is
no gain. I think VoIP over DSL stands a better chance than just VoDSL.
Arnold

Post by Robert Berntse » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:14:48

>> > http://www.voipwatch.com

>> http://www.spherecom.com/news/releases/coppermtn110800htm.htm

>> How about voice over DSL?

>Yes. DSL is going to replace IP.

VoIP can run over DSL.  The term "VoDSL" is just another way of confusing
everybody.
(A)DSL is normaly an IP link.  Voice o DSL does not make sence, it ist VoIP.

New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

Post by Robert Blacksha » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:18:12

Actually VoDSL is not an attempt to confuse since most VoDSL
applications use the VMOA specification and ITU-T I.366.2 and
they both use AAL2 and ATM.

Bob

--
"Since when has genius been found respectable"
                                   E. B. Browning

> >> http://www.spherecom.com/news/releases/coppermtn110800htm.htm

> >> How about voice over DSL?

> >Yes. DSL is going to replace IP.

> VoIP can run over DSL.  The term "VoDSL" is just another way of confusing
> everybody.
> (A)DSL is normaly an IP link.  Voice o DSL does not make sence, it ist
VoIP.

New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

Post by Robert Berntse » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 22:40:17

Bob,
Pls. do not confuse us with irrelevant info.
I believe most (if not all) DSL connections in question in this forum are
links to an ISP. First of all, they provide an IP connection, with typically
ethernet in the user end. You can run VoIP (over this DSL link) but some
parties deliberately call this VoDSL. That is what I am talking about.
And, incidentally, who is using I.366.2 over ADSL, except for testing,
nobody? I.366.2 is for trunking, irrelevant for normal end users. And ATM,
well again irrelevant for the end user, even if used from the DSLAM.

Regards RB.

>Actually VoDSL is not an attempt to confuse since most VoDSL
>applications use the VMOA specification and ITU-T I.366.2 and
>they both use AAL2 and ATM.
>Bob

>> >Yes. DSL is going to replace IP.

>> VoIP can run over DSL.  The term "VoDSL" is just another way of confusing
>> everybody.
>> (A)DSL is normaly an IP link.  Voice o DSL does not make sence, it is
>VoIP.

New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

Post by Robert Blacksha » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:12:12

Robert,

It strikes me that I must have been dreaming then, as I have
taught at least a dozen classes for customer engineers that
have bought our VoDSL software and every last one was
using the Broadband Loop Emulation Service (BLES) that
is spec'd in ATM Forum's VMOA-0145.000.

Also check out people like Copper Com and Jetstream or
Telcordia (Bellcore) GR303.

And when you finally figure out what is going on, come back
and let us all know. :-)

Bob

--

Post by Robert Berntse » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:17:16

>Robert,

>It strikes me that I must have been dreaming then, as I have
>taught at least a dozen classes for customer engineers that
>have bought our VoDSL software and every last one was
>using the Broadband Loop Emulation Service (BLES) that
>is spec'd in ATM Forum's VMOA-0145.000.

>Also check out people like Copper Com and Jetstream or
>Telcordia (Bellcore) GR303.

>And when you finally figure out what is going on, come back
>and let us all know. :-)

>Bob

Yes, I believe you are dreaming.
A few test sites does not show anything.
Give us some market figures.
There are thousands of ADSL links to compare with.
Could you pls. include what type of DSL you are talking about, and who are
delivering the service in the other end?
(HDSL is used for trunk connections many places).

Why should we not start using tems like VoISDN, VoPSTN, VoPRI,  VoX.21,
VoEhternet, VoUDP ..?
Many PBXs these days are utilizing "VoPRI" (trunking).
By carefully choosing the right protocol level you could invent almost any
VoXXX term in order to confuse even more.
(Probably being older than you are, I am not easily confused.)

Honestly, can't you tell us what exactly you are talking about? And what you
are trying to acomplish with your solution.

Happy Christmas
RB

New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

Post by Robert Blacksha » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 05:59:46

What I am talking about is really Voice over anything but SCN.

VoDSL is in significant use as a pair gain technology, even Telcos
are interested as they would rather not bury any more copper than
necessary since Fiber to the Curb will be coming, and VoDSL is
cheaper than SLCs.

Since this is the only newsgroup devoted to Voice over whatever
(other than copper pairs and SCN) get used to other than VoIP.

As to being older than I am, I would not bet on it Sonny :-)

Robert

--

Post by Robert Berntse » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 03:13:51

>What I am talking about is really Voice over anything but SCN.

>VoDSL is in significant use as a pair gain technology, even Telcos
>are interested as they would rather not bury any more copper than
>necessary since Fiber to the Curb will be coming, and VoDSL is
>cheaper than SLCs.

>Since this is the only newsgroup devoted to Voice over whatever
>(other than copper pairs and SCN) get used to other than VoIP.

>As to being older than I am, I would not bet on it Sonny :-)

>Robert

So, it is a trunking technology?
Why not call it Vo I.366.2?
You do not tell us what type of DSL is in use.
You do not tell us who is delivering the service.
The problem is that most telcos would rather deliver a T.1 or similar.
What about some numbers?
Gaining pairs is of course of interest if there is a desparate need, but
otherwise I would believe this is a costly method.

To compare the term VoIP with something you indicate, I believe does not
make much sense.
Packet switched networks like IP can deliver communication over various
types of physical networks and both local and wide area, almost  to every
corner of the world. DSL is a short range use of copper and does not compare
at all, bridging "the last mile". Sure, you can use a DSL link for almost
anything, but you do not need to invent a new and meaningless name for it
every time.

I am not sure if this newsgroup is  devoted to V o whatever. VoIP is a
distinct new way of creating telephone service. If ATM had been available to
the end user in the same way as IP, VoATM would perhaps made sense. But it
is not, and probably never will be because of high cost ++. So for the time
being IP is the only challenge to the traditional circuit switched network.
Your usage of DSL does not belong in this discussion, in my opinion. My
challenge to you, is to explain to us why your technology deserve any space
here.

Have a pieceful Christmas everybody,

RB

New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

Post by Robert Blacksha » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 05:33:49

Quote:

> So, it is a trunking technology?
> Why not call it Vo I.366.2?
> You do not tell us what type of DSL is in use.

ADSL or HDSL running AAL2 over ATM cell service

Quote:> You do not tell us who is delivering the service.

You chose to disregard the two companies I mentionned in my first
or second post.  Check out;

    www.coppercom.com

    www.jetsream.com

These two lead the pack at the moment

Quote:> The problem is that most telcos would rather deliver a T.1 or similar.
> What about some numbers?
> Gaining pairs is of course of interest if there is a desparate need, but
> otherwise I would believe this is a costly method.

> To compare the term VoIP with something you indicate, I believe does not
> make much sense.
> Packet switched networks like IP can deliver communication over various
> types of physical networks and both local and wide area, almost  to every
> corner of the world. DSL is a short range use of copper and does not
compare
> at all, bridging "the last mile". Sure, you can use a DSL link for almost
> anything, but you do not need to invent a new and meaningless name for it
> every time.

>But I did not invent the name, CopperCom and Jetstream probably did. :-)

Best wishes to all.

Robert

1. New VoIP Resource - VoIPWatch.com

[...]

2. Advice Request: What Video Card do I need?

3. SGI for architecture office

4. .FON & TrueType

5. 601 update?

6. New VoIP Resource

7. VOIP Tutorials - choice links and resources for learning VOIP.