Maximum number of files in a book

Post by tsu200 » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

In considering a restructuring of documentation, I need wisdom. Is there
a maximum number of files FM 5.5.6 handles well within a book? For
example, instead of having a 1,000 page book with ten files (each 100
pages), could we have a 1,000 page book with 100 files (each 10 pages).

Has anyone had success including numerous small files in one book? I
imagine there will need to be sufficient memory to open all the files
concurrently to handle XRefs and pagination. I want to identify any
significant pitfalls before moving forward.

Thanks-
Tom

--
Tom Urbanowicz
Senior Technical Writer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Maximum number of files in a book

Post by Ron Teplit » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I've done a book with over 300 files with no problem in 5.5.6 Unix. This
book's page count was around 5700, so what you propose sounds pretty
reasonable.

Ron

--

This message uses all post-consumer ones and zeroes

1. But the file numbering DOES match book numbering

Hello,

I'm getting a message that the numbering in
a book file doesn't match the numbering of
the book.  In the book window, I select the
offending file, right click and choose
Numbering.  I get a numbering window with
several tabs.  I take screen captures of each
tab.  Then I warp to the within the offending
file, goto the Format menu, and select
Document->Numbering.  I get the same numbering
window.  I check that the settings in each
tab match the screen captures.  They are 100%
identical.  Why would FM complain about a
discrepancy in the numbering?  Are there other
numberings?  Given that there are 6 or so tabs,
it sure would be nice if the message specified
the exact parameter for which there is a
discrepancy.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to sleuth
this down.

Fred

P.S.  I've sent this to comp.text.frame,

--

Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario

2. FS/T-DBX, SPX, Shure, Crown, Snake

3. Maximum Number of Open File Descriptors

4. DNSBL not working

5. Maximum number of file descriptors?

6. WANTED: Dreadnoughts for ApplePC Emulator

7. Maximum number of files: Reader 3.0 plug-in with IE4

8. Dynamic View

9. Maximum number of file in a disk

10. Maximum number of Networked users accessing a .sav file

11. numbering errors: generating a book file

12. Maximum number of worksheets in Excel 97....