Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Malco » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 05:07:19

The help says to use a non-breaking space for a generated list so as not to
have a line number sitting on a line by itself.

But I'm using a tab for my TOC instead of a space. Is there a way?
--
Malcolm
in Toronto

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Tim Murra » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:00:36

If you have the problem of a long line forcing the page number to the left
side of the next line, place an extra tab between whatever is at the right
end of the heading and the left side of the page number.  So instead of

<$paratext> \t <$pagenum>

you use

<$paratext> \t \t <$pagenum>

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Malco » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:04:22

Quote:>place an extra tab between whatever is at the right
>end of the heading and the left side of the page number

No change. Got another internal error though. Thanks, Tim.
--
Malcolm
in Toronto

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Tim Murra » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:54:11

At what point did you get the error?  Entering the tab? Doing the generate?
And if you got an error, how did you know there was no change?

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Malco » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:34:47

Quote:>At what point did you get the error?  Entering the tab? Doing the generate?

Actually I got the error first.

Quote:>And if you got an error, how did you know there was no change?

With two tabs in place, after the generate, I had the text symbols showing
and it was as before, with the page number alone on the line but this time
with a tab marker in front of it.
--
Malcolm
in Toronto

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Tim Murra » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:47:05

Would your right tab just happen to be a hair to the right of the actual
right margin?

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Malco » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:20:32

Quote:>Would your right tab just happen to be a hair to the right of the actual
>right margin?

Nope. I tend to do stuff by explicitly typing the numbers rather than
eyeballing. Both are 3.5"

I wound up with a total of 4 internal errors yesterday so I'm still
wondering if I have something conflicting.
--
Malcolm
in Toronto

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Tim Murra » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:32:16

In years of using Frame, and using Frame 6 since it shipped, I've only come
across maybe only one real "problem" document -- a book really -- that
actually crashed Frame over and over. I had to do a lot of clean up on it.

MIFing it didn't work; I had to take baby steps to fix it. Remove a few
unused para tags, save. Nudge a tab, save. Change a variable, save. Generate
after the tiniest change.  That kind of thing.  But finally, the book is
quite stable.

In your case the crash and the tab are (probably) unrelated, but I would
consider generating a fresh TOC before messing with the tabs any more ...
even seeing if generates without any TOC updates work okay.

Is there a non-breaking tab?

Post by Malco » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:51:34

Quote:>consider generating a fresh TOC before messing with the tabs any more ...

Actually, I've done a hundred or so over the past week. (At the beginning, I
told them, determine the structure of the book before you begin writing
anything. Of course, they got someone else to type 400+ pages that were
wildly inconsistent and almost completely without a sensible structure. Then
they gave it to me to do. In fact, the formats and their indents and
capitalization actually *reverse* about mid-book.)

I've been doing a new TOC every 10-20 minutes and thought the internal
errors might be related to that process. Oddly, though I had 4 such errors
on Wed., I had none yesterday. The only difference between those 2 days that
I can figure is that yesterday I was saving after EVERY change (as you
suggested above). This leads me to think that the program does memory
optimization/garbage collection at Save.
--
Malcolm
in Toronto

1. non-breaking spaces, tabs, Quark Xpress tags

I am exporting Xpress Tags from a Filemaker Pro database to produce a
catalogue. The eventual format of the catalogue is that each item has
all the main details in a single paragraph which is justified; but the
price, while still in the same paragraph needs to align to the right,
thus:

Text item blah blah stuff
vjbre iivaj    if kiji in
etc etc  etc  etc etc etc
and then..         $4,000

To achieve this, what I do is to precede the price with a right
aligned TAB. This works beautifully most of the time, but every so
often of course the text flow will push the price over onto a new line
where it aligns left unless the tab has also been pushed along behind
it. And it is really tedious going through a 700 item catalogue
manually looking for these instances in order to put in a couple more
tabs; I guess we put up with it because there are a lot of other
things which need repositioning at the same time so it's not that much
extra work.
It seems the obvious solution would be to use a non-breaking tab which
would always stick on the same line as the price, but this doesn't
exist in Xpress although there seem to be non-breaking versions of
just about every other kind of space or dash.
I've been pondering this on and off for over a year now, convinced
there must be a simple solution. IS THERE???

2. autocads plugins just for

3. Non-breaking spaces in QuarkXPress

4. T1 vs E1

5. Non-breaking Space

6. CIR for DSL?

7. non-breaking hyphen in french version of FrameMaker

8. Reporting RAM in Task Manager

9. Non-breaking hyphens in FrameMaker titles disappearing in PDF bookmarks

10. non-breaking en dash in cross-reference?

11. Non-breaking tables?

12. Inserting non-breaking slash

13. TAB TAB TAB