Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Post by Meg Fortin » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:51:04

I am currently using SnagIt, but the screen shots are too large for the
page.  Anything smaller produces terrible PDF images.

Are there any tools to generate Windows screen captures that will produce
legible PDF images from a FrameMaker file?

Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Post by Thomas Michane » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:35:09

Quote:> I am currently using SnagIt, but the screen shots are too large for the
> page.  Anything smaller produces terrible PDF images.
> Are there any tools to generate Windows screen captures that will produce
> legible PDF images from a FrameMaker file?

This is a very broad question. Basically, the best results when displaying
screenshots on-screen (e.g. in FrameMaker or in Acrobat) are achieved when
the displayed size of the screenshot image is equal to its "real" size,
i.e. when there's a one-to-one correspondence between screenshot pixels and
the pixels making up the window or dialog. Especially when the screenshot
size becomes smaller than the "real" size, you will get on-screen
distortions. I assume this is the problem you're experiencing, and not,
for instance, a problem with the printed image quality.

Different software use different ways to handle and display such
distortions.
FrameMaker is not particularly good at this, and both Word and Acrobat are
generally considered better (again, for on-screen display).

When you need to resize a screenshot image to a smaller size, you will
in effect "resample" the image with a higher resolution (dpi). This can
be done in two places:
1. In the screen capture software, by changing the "resolution"
2. In FrameMaker, by importing with a higher dpi

On Windows, try to import the images into FrameMaker by using a dpi value
of 96 or 2*96=192. If the images are still too large or small for the page,
try 1.5*96=144 dpi. This will in most cases yield the smallest distortions
on-screen in FrameMaker.

The problem with image display in Acrobat is that you basically cannot know
what zoom (scale) setting in Acrobat your users will use. The image quality
varies a lot with the zoom setting, and even more whether or not the Acrobat
preference "Smooth text and images" is turned on. Do you have it turned on?

Finally, there is an interpolation feature in Acrobat that can help you

Quote:>The secret of screen captures and printing/PDF production is to

Also see  http://www.microtype.com/resources/ImageInterpolation.pdf

Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Post by Neil Goul » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:04:12

Hi,

Quote:> I am currently using SnagIt, but the screen shots are too large for
the
> page.  Anything smaller produces terrible PDF images.

> Are there any tools to generate Windows screen captures that will
produce
> legible PDF images from a FrameMaker file?

Why not place the screen shot in a graphic frame and just resize it to
fit?

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
     Terra Tu AV   http://www.terratu.com

Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Post by Meg Fortin » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:49:21

I do that, but once you resize it to fit, it becomes illegible in PDF
format.

> Hi,

> > I am currently using SnagIt, but the screen shots are too large for
> the
> > page.  Anything smaller produces terrible PDF images.

> > Are there any tools to generate Windows screen captures that will
> produce
> > legible PDF images from a FrameMaker file?

> Why not place the screen shot in a graphic frame and just resize it to
> fit?

> Regards,

> --
> Neil Gould
>      Terra Tu AV   http://www.terratu.com
>      Technical Graphics & Media

Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Post by Jenn » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:25:43

Meg:

I also use Snagit with Frame. I faced the exact problem you have and
wondered what on earth was going on. It's the resolution that you are
PDFing to. Distiller has a default DPI that simply does not work with
some media (especially monitors). It's like trying to print out a 72
dpi photo on a 1200 dpi printer- it looks bad unless you change the
resolution to fit the media you are viewing on.

I've used *y tiny grapnics blown up and really big pictures reduced
to fit a page published on both web and paper. This is how I do it:

1. Set up SnagIt to capture using 16-bit 4 color GIFs. Small file
size! Fewer colors to deal with!
2. Copy the GIFs into anchored frames in frame. Resize (the graphic
and/or the frame) as necessary.
3. When you go to create the PDF, make sure you set up Distiller
first. Create a Job Option that uses the same resolution or a multiple
or divisor of the resolution you are printing to. If you are
publishing on-screen only, use 72 or 96 dpi; if you are publishing for
the printed page, use a resolution that is a divisor or multiple of
your printer (use 200 or 300 dpi in Distiller for a 600 dpi printer,
for example). The smaller the resolution, the smaller the PDF. Note:
With standard graphics (screen shots), there is almost no difference
in quality above 200 dpi, so I always use 200 dpi. Plus, if a user
prints to a printer that has a different resolution divisor, 200 dpi
will work with nearly any printer. Creating a 300 dpi PDF and trying
to print on a 800 dpi printer will cause the same cruddy graphic
problems, but 200 dpi will work. (For more info on this, check out
www.scantips.com ... awesome site for most resolution questions)
4. Before you create the PDF, open Distiller and make sure you have
the correct Job Option selected. Create your PDF and test it on your
media. You should have a happy PDF!

I publish manuals for both on-screen viewing and printing, so I have
two job options set up. I create one PDF for each media using the
appropriate Job Option, mark the PDF as such (filename.print.pdf and
filename.screen.pdf), and haven't heard complaints from my users
since.

Hope that helps!
Jenny Smalling

> I do that, but once you resize it to fit, it becomes illegible in PDF
> format.

> > Hi,

> > > I am currently using SnagIt, but the screen shots are too large for
>  the
> > > page.  Anything smaller produces terrible PDF images.

> > > Are there any tools to generate Windows screen captures that will
>  produce
> > > legible PDF images from a FrameMaker file?

> > Why not place the screen shot in a graphic frame and just resize it to
> > fit?

> > Regards,

> > --
> > Neil Gould
> >      Terra Tu AV   http://www.veryComputer.com/
> >      Technical Graphics & Media

Importing Windows screen captures into FrameMaker to PDF

Post by franco » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:14:42

Hi,

I don't use Snagit bu Paint Shop Pro 7.0 from Jasc and my Screen
Capture looks great.
That might not solve your problem because the explanation following
will use Paint Shop instead of Snagit but this might apply to snagit
as well.

1) Open Paint Shop Pro 7
2) Configure Import/Screen Capture (Shift F1)
3) Start the Capture and select the area of your choice
4) Once selected the picture will upload directly in Psp7
5) Save and resize to whatever you want, I usually keep the settings
as they were when the picture is uploaded in Psp7.
6) Save the file you have got more than 40 format possible so pick the
right one I usually use jpeg for compression issues and FM6 reads
perfect however using tiff would be even better.
7/ In frame go to import file and pic your file. Then FM6 will ask you
the dpi selection. Again I use 96Dpi but you can choose to a number of
selection, I would advise to use what is given by default (just try
like this firt if not happy use a better reolution)
8/ Then go to print and select printer setup
9/ Properties of Printer: Adobe Pdf settings
there you can choose the type of printing you want ebook, press...I
personnaly designed my own setting. The way to do this is to use
Acrobat Distiller and Job Options, there you can select the DPI per
image and the compression ratio. I am using 2100dpi for my pictures.
The best for you is to do trial and errors test until you are fully
satisfied with the quality.

Best of luck,
********************************

********************************

1. Script replay/screen capture Windows 95, DOS, and Windows 3.x

I'm seeking recommendations for a testing package that, like most, can
replay a script, capture screens, and provide a means to compare screens
from different runs.

The challenge I'm having is finding one that can work in all the
environments I need, which are:
        * DOS under Windows 95 (e.g. either a DOS box or booting to Windows 95
DOS)
        * Windows 95
        * Windows 3.x
        * DOS 6.22

I've visited the comp.software.testing FAQ and the supplier list
therein, but there's not sufficient detail to figure out if these
requirements are met.

I've talked to someone at Segue Software and QA Partner "doesn't yet"
support a DOS box under Windows 95, but I need to call them back and see
if it will handle booting directly to DOS under Windows 95.  The woman I
spoke to only knew of one software that did this ("Evaluator"?).

From recent discussions in this group Visual Test seems to support a DOS
box in a limited fashion.

Any and all assistance/recommendations/etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Denis Haskin
Senior Manager for Production Engineering
Information Access Company

2. ImageLab, Video and VHDL.

3. Capture error message: "PDF page is rotated" (how do I capture a landscape pdf?)

4. Unexpected results

5. AN: I Capture - Capture / Create Animations for Windows 3.1 or Windows 95

6. Satellite Image Mapping Tool Update

7. Can FrameMaker 5.5.6 print imported non-printable PDF's?

8. GODS DEMO IS IN AB20 NOW !!!

9. Importing jpg Images in FrameMaker-PDF

10. How to import .eps files to Framemaker (windows) in PC?

11. Windows Screen Capture ?

12. Help Windows Screen Capture ?

13. Help Windows Screen Capture