numbering errors: generating a book file

numbering errors: generating a book file

Post by Barbara Whit » Fri, 30 May 2003 22:18:26

I'm using FM7 on Windows 2000.

I have a set of files that I manage with a book file. Every now and then
when I generate/update the book, I get an error message indicating that
the numbering properties for my files do not match the numbering
properties set in the book file. If I use the book a lot in a week, I
might see this error message 3-6 times in that week.

I get this message even though I have not played with the numbering
properties or done anything with importing formats/properties from
another file.

Weirdly enough, what seems to resolve the problem (until the next time
it happens) is to open the numbering properties from the book (for each
file) and just click through all of the tabs without changing anything.
Then, I do the same thing from the individual files. (I highlight the
files and right-click to select Numbering and click through each of the
tabs on the Numbering panel.)

This isn't a huge problem, but it's frustrating and I'd like to know
it's happening because of something that I'm doing or not doing. I've
never had this problem with any of the other versions of FM that I've used.

Any clues about why this is happening?

numbering errors: generating a book file

Post by Tim Murra » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:46:18

One thing that can cause this is when you do an "import formats" and one of
the items selected is "document properties" -- which includes numbering
properties.

1. But the file numbering DOES match book numbering

Hello,

I'm getting a message that the numbering in
a book file doesn't match the numbering of
the book.  In the book window, I select the
offending file, right click and choose
Numbering.  I get a numbering window with
several tabs.  I take screen captures of each
tab.  Then I warp to the within the offending
file, goto the Format menu, and select
Document->Numbering.  I get the same numbering
window.  I check that the settings in each
tab match the screen captures.  They are 100%
identical.  Why would FM complain about a
discrepancy in the numbering?  Are there other
numberings?  Given that there are 6 or so tabs,
it sure would be nice if the message specified
the exact parameter for which there is a
discrepancy.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to sleuth
this down.

Fred

P.S.  I've sent this to comp.text.frame,

--

Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario

2. 5.1 and quoting the sig

3. Generate random numbers based on number given in a cell

4. !! Careful removing m505 From Cradle !!! look what happened to my m505

5. Folio-by-chapter numbering in generated files for Frame 6.0 ...

6. workstation and server services missing in Win2000

7. Generating Bookmarks from Book files in FrameMaker

8. Mark a read mail unread (new)

9. Maximum number of files in a book

10. RAR file numbering error?

11. "Number of shapes does not match number of table records" error box

12. FV_CancelReferencedFilesNotFound error occurs while saving a FM book to html files

13. Article Rejected : Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9