Isolating Conditionals

Post by Kevin McGuir » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:28:56

 I have a 300 page book, a  software user guide, that is conditionalized
for several different platforms. The problem is that each of our
platform vendors is in competition with the others. We have signed an
agreement with one vendor and they have requested the FrameMaker source
document so they can internationalize it to German and Japanese. I can't
give them a document that contains conditonal text that is specific to
their competitors. Is there a way to create a document that contains
only the conditionals that are applicable to this client? Would save as
MIF generate such a document? (my system: FM6.0 Solaris UNIX)

Isolating Conditionals

Post by Tim Murra » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:22:00

You could do using using MIF, but writing the search/replace macro (in Word, for example) could be more work than just simply searching for a conditional, and deleting it (replace field is empty).

Isolating Conditionals

Post by Elizabet » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:36:38

I'm not on Solaris - gotta use windows, so the following solution is based
on the windows version, but...

Make a second "printer's" copy of your files (so you don't accidentally
destroy your originals). Open each of your new "printer's" files and delete
the "competitor's" conditional text, being sure to choose the Delete Text
box to completely remove the conditional text from your files. Otherwise,
you'll just end up turning the conditional text into unconditional text.

Save the files and ship to the printer.

Just a thought.

E.

Suggestion is just a thought.

Quote:> I have a 300 page book, a  software user guide, that is conditionalized
> for several different platforms. The problem is that each of our
> platform vendors is in competition with the others. We have signed an
> agreement with one vendor and they have requested the FrameMaker source
> document so they can internationalize it to German and Japanese. I can't
> give them a document that contains conditonal text that is specific to
> their competitors. Is there a way to create a document that contains
> only the conditionals that are applicable to this client? Would save as
> MIF generate such a document? (my system: FM6.0 Solaris UNIX)

Isolating Conditionals

Post by Tim Murra » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:40:46

Slap to the forehead: I can't believe I didn't mention that!

Isolating Conditionals

Post by Kevin McGuir » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:31:43

Thanks folks,
I was afraid a printer's copy would be the consensus. Until now I have been
able to maintain a single-source document without having to keep notes on
exceptions for each client. I tried saving a conditionalized version to mif,
but was still able retrieve a full copy - Frame was too clever for itself.
The product is still at beta stage so there are global modifications that
occur daily. Looks like we will have to limit client exposure to releases.

Post by Thomas Michane » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:58:46

Quote:> > I have a 300 page book, a  software user guide, that is conditionalized
> > for several different platforms. The problem is that each of our
> > platform vendors is in competition with the others. We have signed an
> > agreement with one vendor and they have requested the FrameMaker source
> > document so they can internationalize it to German and Japanese. I can't
> > give them a document that contains conditonal text that is specific to
> > their competitors. Is there a way to create a document that contains
> > only the conditionals that are applicable to this client? Would save as
> > MIF generate such a document? (my system: FM6.0 Solaris UNIX)

> I tried saving a conditionalized version to mif,
> but was still able retrieve a full copy - Frame was too clever for itself.

If you save to MIF, you can run my MIF script "mifremove" on all MIF files
to automatically remove all hidden conditional text, without having to do
it manually for each file using the GUI. With "fm2mif" and "mif2fm" you can
save all files in a book to MIF and back without using the GUI.

Look at "MIF scripts" on my web page.

Isolating Conditionals

Post by Kevin McGuir » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:27:17

Excellent Thomas. I'm using FM6 on Solaris UNIX and it seems to work on a single
mif file. I'll try it now on a book.
Thanks
Kevinm

1. Isolating PC from receiver to prevent ground loop

I recently moved my MP3 player PC from on top of my home entertainment
center (wife didn't like it there; go figure) to inside a cabinet in
the adjacent kitchen. I was so proud of the outlet and RCA jack
connections I installed to make everything nice and neat.

Unfortunately, I've created a problem ... the PC that houses my MP3
collection and player is now plugged into a different circuit, and
likely different phase, from my Denon receiver in the other room. A
loud ground hum is very obvious. I know that it is a ground hum
because I can unplug the PC from the outlet (so that it is running off
UPS), and there is no hum.

Without rewiring the outlet (it was a bear to find a circuit I could
tap into; long story), what clever ideas are there for getting rid of
the ground loop? Some way to opto-isolate it, for example. I thought
of using a 2.4 GHz transmitter thing (X10) to transmit the audio (and
it would only be transmitted a few inches), but then every time the
microwave oven is on, my sound is interfered with.

2. Outlook

3. isolated relay switch ?

4. MySQL - HPUX

5. Isolating automation

6. Resource font from DLL?

7. Isolate individual circuits from X10

8. Search Engine results

9. Isolating +5V DC power

10. Isolating power supplies with L298

11. Isolating Electronic circuits

12. Are all solid state relays opto-isolated

13. ISOLATE and PRATITION states on LXT9880 ethernet Repeater?