Unreliable anomaly, or...

Post by Rodney Dye » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:50:57

Hi,

While creating some Win2k/XP command shell scripts the
other day I came across a strange anomaly in the command
shell processor "cmd.exe".

Normally, to execute a child command shell script from a
parent shell script you must use the "call" command.  But
the information on Microsoft's web site...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/standa
rd/call.asp

....states that you can't use pipes or redirection
symbols with "call".  This is unforunate since that is
exactly what I would like to do.  Microsoft does not
state why this is so, it would be very nice to know.

However, while hacking up a solution to the problem I
found that the following works...without a "call"
command...

child.cmd | more
echo This should not be seen!

echo Wacky!

You can see in the "parent.cmd" script that I'm executing
the "child.cmd" script without using a "call" command,
yet if you run this you will see that the parent
continues after the execution of the "child.cmd" just
like it had been called.

What is going on here?  Is this reliable enough to depend
on?  Is it a bug?  I can't find any literature on the net
on why this is happening.

Anybody got any clues?

Thanks,

Rodney

Unreliable anomaly, or...

Post by Brett Keown [MSF » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:43:16

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your post to the Microsoft public newsgroups.  I am currently working on identifying the best person here to help you.  I have sent your post on to
one of our support teams.  You will receive a reply from either myself or another of our Support Engineers as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience,

Brett Keown
DS Communities Team
Team Development / Visual SourceSafe

To email me directly, please remove the "nospam" from my email address.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Unreliable anomaly, or...

Post by Mike Dut » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:15:42

I have not done batch programming in a while but if I recall correctly the
Call command simply makes the call asynchronous vs. synchronous without it.
The sample you provided functioned as I would expect it to.

child.cmd | more
echo This should not be seen!

echo Wacky!

When parent.cmd calls child it will simply wait there until child.cmd
completes and then continue.

Mike Dutra
Microsoft Developer Support WSH/WMI/Cluster Dev

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.

1. HP 5s unreliable?

I purchased a HP 5s scanner in mid March.  After a little more than 30
days (i.e. can't return to store), it started to have a problem: after
warming up, the  right 1" would stop scanning properly.  I'm now on
the third refurbished unit:

Original unit - right 1" doesn't scan
Refurb #1 - produces only blank, white images
Refurb #2 - makes load clicking noises while scanning
Refurb #3 - every few pages are completely black

I'm expected a call back next week to resolve this problem.

I'd appreciate hearing from folks with their experiences.  Should I
request a new, non-refurbished, or my money back?

Regards,
Carl Petito

2. Hot vs SaSe, 1set Finals @ WCG EURO 2008 Championship

3. CM11A is unreliable with something plugged into passthrough outlet

4. Error Message When You Add Office .msi File to New Group Policy Object

5. Why do people say X10 is unreliable?

6. Keyboard command to restart Indy Presenter display ?

7. Dimming lamps from Palmpad or Slimfire is unreliable

8. sb64pci midi driver win2k

9. Unreliable Routines in IBM's Home Director

10. Hawkeye 13a unreliable

11. PalmPad Unreliable

12. Troubleshooting unreliable X-10 transmissions

13. Unreliable X-10 units, Please Help