Get absolute path or PIDL from relative PIDL

Get absolute path or PIDL from relative PIDL

Post by Asko Teline » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:29:14

Hi all.

My problem is described in subject already but here it is.
I have a relative LPITEMIDLIST and i need to convert it
to an absolute LPITEMIDLIST. When i tried SHGetPathFromItemIDList
it returns path which consists of the the name
of that relative folder appended to desktop folder.
Any ideas PLZ ?

Asko Telinen

Faculty of Information technology
Jyv?skyl? university

Post by Jim Barr » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:14:02

> My problem is described in subject already but here it is.
> I have a relative LPITEMIDLIST and i need to convert it
> to an absolute LPITEMIDLIST. When i tried SHGetPathFromItemIDList
> it returns path which consists of the the name
> of that relative folder appended to desktop folder.

To get a filesystem path from a file name, you need to know which directory the file is in. It is exactly the same with ID-lists - you need to append the relative ID-list to that of the parent folder. See the Shell topic "Working with Item ID Lists" for more info. If the parent's IShellFolder interface is available you can use the newly-documented function SHGetRealIDL.

--
Jim Barry
MVP, Windows SDK

1. relative PIDL to 'absolute' PIDL

I have a pidl relative to its parent IShellFolder.
Folder (My Documents)
PIDL (some document.doc)

I now need to convert the PIDL into a FULLY
qualified, 'absolute' pidl, with the desktop as base!

I need the pidl to pass it to ShellExecuteEx

2. ZOC and OS/2 Screensaver

3. IShell::GetAttributes() and relative/absolute PIDL

4. ProDOS 8 Disk full problem

5. How can I get the relative pidl of "c:\db\1.bmp"??

6. sendmail.cf relay problem

7. Should a PIDL always the same like Path?

8. Need Amp to Boost DTMF Strength

9. Getting Full PIDL

10. relative versus absolute paths

11. relative/absolute paths

12. relative vs. absolute paths

13. Basic questions about PIDL and IDLJ compiler