Startup order

Post by Richar » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:14:47

What is the order by which Windows open the programs in
the startup folder? Is there a way to control the startup
order?

It looks sort of chronological in the order of creation,
but it seems like every time I start Windows, the order
changes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Startup order

Post by Jim Barr » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:06:34

> What is the order by which Windows open the programs in
> the startup folder? Is there a way to control the startup
> order?

According to KB article 192113, on Windows 95 the items are loaded in alphabetical order. Whether this is true for subsequent versions I cannot say. I would have expected the items to be loaded in whatever order they are served up by the filesystem, which would be alphabetical for NTFS and chronological for FAT (as mentioned in FindNextFile).

--
Jim Barry, MVP for Windows SDK