Why is ICommDlgBrowser calling IDataObject::GetData?

Why is ICommDlgBrowser calling IDataObject::GetData?

Post by Jim Houskeepe » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello:
I managed to figure out on my own that ICommDlgBrowser::OnDefaultCommand
gets the PIDL of the selected item from the view window through the use of a
data item, however I don't quite understand what it is expected from
IDataObject::GetData.  Can someone explain, and equally important, how are
we supposed to know exactly why ICommDlgBrowser is calling IDataObject in
the first place without some sort of documentation.

Jim

Post by Jim Barr » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Can someone explain, and equally important, how are we
> supposed to know exactly why ICommDlgBrowser is calling
> IDataObject in the first place without some sort of
> documentation.

The common dialog wants the CFSTR_SHELLIDLIST format so it can find out
about the selected items. See KB article Q216954.

Cheers,

- Jim

1. IDataObject::GetData called when closing Explorer

In my shell namespace extension I have implemented copy and paste
functionality.  However, if I Copy my IDataObject to the clipboard (with
OleSetClipboard) and then close down Explorer.exe, then the shell asks my
data object to render its contents with a series of GetData calls for all of
my supported formats.

It is rather time-consuming for me to obtain this data, so I would like to
do this *only* if the data is actually going to be used.

Is there a means of avoiding these GetData calls?
Or is there a means that my namespace extension can tell that the data is
actually needed?

Thanks,
    David

2. Warp fixpack is out --> Is fix for Warp and Warp+WinOS2????

3. embarrassed! What does ICommDlgBrowser::OnDefaultCommand call?

4. Database problem with subweb

5. Why am I not in?

6. Seperate Class C's and BIND (reverse DNS issues)

7. SUCK! WHY AM I NOT GETTING THIRD EMAIL!?

8. Bind 8.2.1 transfer errors??

9. Why am I unable to get stereo sound

10. Why am I losing my tabs in Illustrator?

11. Why am I getting a "kids passport" message?

12. MSN Hotmail - why am I getting 2MB instead of 10MB

13. Why am I disconnected every 45 minutes?