Folder links

Post by Michael Fel » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all!

I've just found that there is a new sort of shortcut in Windows2K (at least
I haven't noticed it before), so-called folder shortcuts. If you create a
shortcut to folder in the Start menu, it is automatically created as such a
folder shortcut.
I've seen that this folder shortcut is (in physical file system) simply a
folder containing a file named "target.lnk". However, creating a folder and
a target.lnk in it doesn't make it a folder shorcut.
Does anyone know how to create the folder shortcuts programmatically?

Michael

Folder links

Post by Matthew Elli » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all!

> I've just found that there is a new sort of shortcut in Windows2K (at
least
> I haven't noticed it before), so-called folder shortcuts. If you create a
> shortcut to folder in the Start menu, it is automatically created as such
> folder shortcut.
> I've seen that this folder shortcut is (in physical file system) simply a
> folder containing a file named "target.lnk". However, creating a folder
and
> a target.lnk in it doesn't make it a folder shorcut.
> Does anyone know how to create the folder shortcuts programmatically?

Yep. Get the IShellLink for CLSID_FolderShortcut, and handle like a normal
shortcut. For more details look at the Creating Shortcuts topic in the SDK.
There's an example function (CreateLink) that creates a normal shortcut. You
want exactly the same code, just replace CLSID_ShellLink with
CLSID_FolderShortcut.

If you have the SDK documentation installed, this link should get you there:

::/shellcc/Shell/Shortcut.htm

(It will more than likely wrap!)

Matt

Folder links

Post by David Lownde » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I've just found that there is a new sort of shortcut in Windows2K (at least
>I haven't noticed it before), so-called folder shortcuts. If you create a
>shortcut to folder in the Start menu, it is automatically created as such a
>folder shortcut.
>I've seen that this folder shortcut is (in physical file system) simply a
>folder containing a file named "target.lnk". However, creating a folder and
>a target.lnk in it doesn't make it a folder shorcut.
>Does anyone know how to create the folder shortcuts programmatically?

Michael,

Have you had a look at IPersistFolder3? I think that must be what
you're looking for.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Folder links

Post by Michael Fel » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanx, I'll try that!

> > Hi all!

> > I've just found that there is a new sort of shortcut in Windows2K (at
> least
> > I haven't noticed it before), so-called folder shortcuts. If you create
> > shortcut to folder in the Start menu, it is automatically created as
such
> > folder shortcut.
> > I've seen that this folder shortcut is (in physical file system) simply
> > folder containing a file named "target.lnk". However, creating a folder
> and
> > a target.lnk in it doesn't make it a folder shorcut.
> > Does anyone know how to create the folder shortcuts programmatically?

> Yep. Get the IShellLink for CLSID_FolderShortcut, and handle like a normal
> shortcut. For more details look at the Creating Shortcuts topic in the
SDK.
> There's an example function (CreateLink) that creates a normal shortcut.
You
> want exactly the same code, just replace CLSID_ShellLink with
> CLSID_FolderShortcut.

> If you have the SDK documentation installed, this link should get you
there:

> ::/shellcc/Shell/Shortcut.htm

> (It will more than likely wrap!)

> Matt

1. PDF Links - naming convention with spaces in folder name

This isn't necessarily an Acrobat problem, but hopefully somebody has an
answer...

I am trying to troubleshoot linking between PDF documents and external
files.  For example, one PDF file has a link to a PowerPoint file named:

../Specific/C3/Missile System Theory/filename.pps

This file should open in PowerPoint viewer, but the viewer comes up and
says it can't open the file named "E:\Specific\Missile"

Next it tells me it can't open the file "System".  Then it says it can't
open the file named:
"Theory\MSLSYS.pps"

Obviously, the problem is in the folder named "Missile System Theory",
in that it has spaces in the name.  Is there a character I can
substitute in the folder name to represent the space, while still
allowing the PPViewer to find the file?  Restated, can I rename the
folder that it conforms to URL specs, while still maintaining the
original link?  (I would edit the PDF file with the link, but it is
password protected.)

Michael K.

2. Weird problems with a domain...

3. PDF files in a folder --> HTML links page

4. Wavelets-Lifting scheme

5. Creating links to workbooks in folder using VBA

6. Falcon Svga and TV questions

7. linking to objects in special folders (ie, dun)

8. sending multiple mail

9. Help me ... i m looking for an OCX to cpompress folder / sub folders and files ...

10. Personal Folders in MSOUtlook 2000 vs MSN Hotmail Folders

11. Formula to extract parent folder, parent of parent folder etc

12. Moving files from folder to folder

13. Copy some files from a folder to another folder