IContextmenu IShellExtInit.... can they work in an EXE

Post by Mostl » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:11:47

IContextmenu IShellExtInit... can they work in an EXE

Will a context menu work against an out of process handler?
I seem to be able to get DLL's going but not EXE with same interface.

If this is an impossible, can I store an entire DLL in a resource, unload it
to disk, Load it and register it. I really want to have one file for my
application.

Answers to either part appreciated
thanks.

Post by Jim Barr » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:39:37

> Will a context menu work against an out of process handler?

Originally, shell extensions were required to be inproc and apartment threaded. Before version 5, the shell used its own 'home-brew' version of COM. Since Windows 2000 it is at least possible in theory for shell extensions to be out-of-process. However, even on XP there appears to be no marshalling support for either IContextMenu or IShellExtInit, as evidenced by the lack of any ProxyStubClsid32 subkey under the relevant entries in HKCR\Interface.

Quote:> If this is an impossible, can I store an entire DLL in a resource, unload it
> to disk, Load it and register it. I really want to have one file for my
> application.

I don't see why not; I have used the same strategy for hook DLLs in the past.

--
Jim Barry, MVP for Windows SDK
"For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass

IContextmenu IShellExtInit.... can they work in an EXE

Post by Mostl » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:22:57

Thx

> Will a context menu work against an out of process handler?

Originally, shell extensions were required to be inproc and apartment
threaded. Before version 5, the shell used its own 'home-brew' version of
COM. Since Windows 2000 it is at least possible in theory for shell
extensions to be out-of-process. However, even on XP there appears to be no
marshalling support for either IContextMenu or IShellExtInit, as evidenced
by the lack of any ProxyStubClsid32 subkey under the relevant entries in
HKCR\Interface.

Quote:> If this is an impossible, can I store an entire DLL in a resource, unload
it
> to disk, Load it and register it. I really want to have one file for my
> application.

I don't see why not; I have used the same strategy for hook DLLs in the
past.

--
Jim Barry, MVP for Windows SDK
"For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass
destruction, because it was the one reason everyone could agree on."
Paul Wolfowitz, US Deputy Defence Secretary

1. Checkmarks on IContextMenu sub menu not working

Hi,

This is probably something simple I have missed, but cannot seem to get to
work. The check marks on a IContextMenu's submenu do not appear to work.

The project is open source so here's the URL :-

        http://aarongray.members.beeb.net/projects/ScreenSaver/ - Alpha
v0.2.3 Source

The actual source file is :-

http://aarongray.members.beeb.net/projects/ScreenSaver/ContextMenu.cpp

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

2. New Psion user seeks help

3. My IExtractIcon and IContextMenu do not work,why??

4. Modem shows ok in Device Mgr but no entry in Ctrl. Panel Modems??

5. newbie question: lcc2.exe, lcc3.exe, lccdb.exe?

6. Schedule a VB 5.0 programing using AT

7. using java.exe opposed to vbj.exe (Visibroker exe)

8. how gzip.exe for dos works?

9. Decompress *.??_ (expand.exe doesn't work)

10. exe file has only some dw's working

11. DW retrieve works in development, fails in EXE

12. Pipeline not working in EXE (does at design time)