How do you do the NEW thing

Post by Mostl » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:12:18

When one right clicks, you get New Word, New Excel etc what do I need to do
to get may programs to do that, thanks.

Also you know the Add To Zip you see with WinZip, how did they do that?
thanks again

How do you do the NEW thing

Post by Henk Devo » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:39:08

Take a look here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platfor...

Quote:> When one right clicks, you get New Word, New Excel etc what do I need to
do
> to get may programs to do that, thanks.

> Also you know the Add To Zip you see with WinZip, how did they do that?
> thanks again

How do you do the NEW thing

Post by Mostl » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:03:18

Thanks very helpfull I'm NEWing and doing SendTo now that I understand a
little more.

One thing that troubles me is the SendTo, I use it to collect a list of
filenames simply by placing a link in the Special SendTo folder, which is
now alive and well because of the association stuff you showed me,

BUT SendTo returns short file names and it limits the number of files by
what appears to be _MAX_PATH

So thats my next question, I want a SendTo function but it needs to somehow
tie into IDropTarget or something, anyway, how can I get a SendTo that can
handle say 300 selected files in explorer?

Quote:> Take a look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platfor...
/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/context.asp?frame=true

> > When one right clicks, you get New Word, New Excel etc what do I need to
> do
> > to get may programs to do that, thanks.

> > Also you know the Add To Zip you see with WinZip, how did they do that?
> > thanks again

How do you do the NEW thing

Post by Jim Barr » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:02:08

> So thats my next question, I want a SendTo function but it
> needs to somehow tie into IDropTarget or something, anyway,
> how can I get a SendTo that can handle say 300 selected files
> in explorer?

You can create a dummy file class that has an associated drop handler. The drop handler's IDropTarget::Drop method will receive a data object with full CF_HDROP info. Create an empty file in the user's CSIDL_SENDTO folder with the extension of your dummy file class.

On XP an application can directly support IDropTarget using the 'DropTarget' mechanism - see the topic "Verbs and File Associations" for more info.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/progra...

--
Jim Barry, MVP for Windows SDK
"For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass