what type of shell extension handler do i need ?

what type of shell extension handler do i need ?

Post by kai » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:46:01

hi,

i have a namespace. from this namespace i can drag files and folders to the
explorer. now i want to create an own clipboardformat and a handler wich
should handle this format (if some files are dragged to the shell).

do i need a copyhook, data or drag and drop handler ?

and is there a sample for the handler type i need ?

thanks

ps: no, i cant use CF_HDROP, CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR or CFSTR_FILECONTENTS

what type of shell extension handler do i need ?

Just curious...Why can't you use CFSTR_FILECONTENTS/CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR?

Post by kai » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:16:03

 D> Just curious...Why can't you use
 D> CFSTR_FILECONTENTS/CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR?

CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR doesnt scale very good, especially for directories.

i want to be able to drag directories too, and creating the
CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR data for whole directories (with all subdirs included,
recursive) is waaay to slow

what type of shell extension handler do i need ?

Post by Ian Beva » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:00:39

Well I'm a noob when it comes to shell extensions, but since Explorer itself
allows dragging and dropping of folders (and associated subfolders) which is
most certainly not slow, can you not use the same clipboard formats it uses
? Or am I missing something ?

--
Fast, scalable, multithreaded heap management for Visual C++
http://www.winheap.com

Quote:> D> Just curious...Why can't you use

Post by kai » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:34:39

 IB> Well I'm a noob when it comes to shell extensions, but since Explorer
 IB> itself allows dragging and dropping of folders (and associated
 IB> subfolders) which is most certainly not slow, can you not use the same
 IB> clipboard formats it uses ? Or am I missing something ?

if you drag files with the explorer, CF_HDROP will be used. if you drag a
directory, the CF_HDROP simply contains the name of the to be dragged
folder.

the problem is, that this folder must be a real folder on disk but the
folders in my namespace arent 'real' (or directly accessible through
filesystem operations)