How do I get the Doc Folder Path, Favorites, etc... with ALL platforms

How do I get the Doc Folder Path, Favorites, etc... with ALL platforms

Post by Ralph Krauss » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

I would like to know if there is an easy way to get the common folders like
docs, fav, startup, etc.  I have been using SHGetSpecialFolderPath with a
CSIDL  but some work only on 95 or NT or 2000, etc. Is there some easy way
to get all these folder path's on all systems or do I just have to figure it
out by myself depending on the OS?

Thanks
Ralph Krausse

How do I get the Doc Folder Path, Favorites, etc... with ALL platforms

Post by Stanislav Simice » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Quote:> I would like to know if there is an easy way to get the common folders

like docs, fav, startup, etc.  I have been using SHGetSpecialFolderPath with
a CSIDL  but some work only on 95 or NT or 2000, etc.

a) You can install ShFolder.dll redistributable (Platform SDK, MS website)
and use SHGetFolderPath function

b) use SHGetSpecialFolderLocation and SHGetPathFromIDList functions

c) read information from registry (not recommended)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

HTH,
--
ChainsaW

How do I get the Doc Folder Path, Favorites, etc... with ALL platforms

Post by Ralph Krauss » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

thanks

Quote:> Hello,

> > I would like to know if there is an easy way to get the common folders
> like docs, fav, startup, etc.  I have been using SHGetSpecialFolderPath
with
> a CSIDL  but some work only on 95 or NT or 2000, etc.

> a) You can install ShFolder.dll redistributable (Platform SDK, MS website)
> and use SHGetFolderPath function

> b) use SHGetSpecialFolderLocation and SHGetPathFromIDList functions

> c) read information from registry (not recommended)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Quote:> Folders