shell open

Post by niba » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:37:27

does the shell open anything else other than an .exe file,
i want to open an msi file

is this possible.

thanks

shell open

Post by David Lincol » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:48:48

Quote:>> is this possible.

Yes, it's possible, as long as the file has a "shell association". For example, on my XP the ".msi" file extension is assoicated
with "Msi.Package", which in turn defined the shell "open" verb as ""%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*". Use can use
regedit to examine any file's associations.

In fact, the "open" verb will be listed in the file's context menu as "Install".

You can use "ShellExecute" or "ShellExecuteEx" to invoke any shell verb on a file, or use NULL to invoke the default verb.

Try searching the MSDN library for "file assoications" or "shell verbs" or anything similar.

Cheers,
Dave.

1. Could not open H:/.wind/shellHistory.dat to store shell history.

hello,

when closing the shell, i get a following message "Could
not open H:/.wind/shellHistory.dat to store shell history."

i am on win2k, tornado 1.01. i do have a c:\tornado\.wind\
directory. where does the "H:/" come from? do i not have
some variable set? i'd really like that shellHistory
feature thing to work.

also, i do have WIND_BASE=C:/Tornado

thanks,

denis

2. When Are Volumes Ok After Boot

3. No windows open in Shell

4. A3640 into A3000: solved

5. IDLWAVE 4.9: "Cannot open load file: idlw-shell"

6. Windows Protection Fault

7. Opening a shell with perl.

8. VC2.1: new dialog styles

9. shelling to explorer.exe opens desktop

10. How can I open (or construct) properties dialog for multiple shell objects?

11. UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell (Monthly Posting)