DOCUMENTUM one content, multiple set of attributes

DOCUMENTUM one content, multiple set of attributes

Post by Juergen Groenne » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
we have just started to use DOCUMENTUM EDMS98, and we are looking for a
solution
to following problem:
In our analog world we described our pipeline network with a set of
drawings
for each pipeline, and consequently with pipeline related attributes.
In case of crossing pipelines, we got only one drawing for the crossing,
but with different set of attributes >> one content, multiple set of
attributes.

Now with DOCUMENTUM, we would like to reference from different set of
attributes
to this content. Can we link from e.q. 4 different objects to one, lets
say
master object using only one content?

It would be nice, if we could stay on the default document types coming
from DOCUMENTUM.

Further, in case of a query, the structure should be visible, so that
all possible
references to this content are visible?

Thanks in advance,

Juergen Groenner, Thyssengas, Germany

DOCUMENTUM one content, multiple set of attributes

Post by Philip Semanch » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Juergen,

Quote:>Now with DOCUMENTUM, we would like to reference from different set of
>attributes
>to this content. Can we link from e.q. 4 different objects to one, let=B4=
>say master object using only one content?

Yes, this is possible. I have not done it myself so I don't know how
you would accomplish it through the APIs.

Quote:>Further, in case of a query, the structure should be visible, so that
>all possible
>references to this content are visible?

This is also possible. Check out the dmr_content object (note that is
dmR_content, not dm_content). I don't think it is well documented but
you can do a "describe dmr_content" at the IDQL command line to get a
look at it. You have one dmr_content object for each unique piece of
content you have in the docbase. The dmr_content object has a
repeating value attribute called r_parent_id or something like that.
This is the r_object_id of all of the objects that point to this piece
of content. Your query to find out what points to a particular piece
of content would be:
select r_parent_id from dmr_content where r_object_id = 'xxxx'

There might be a cleaner way to do this. I don't think Documentum
intends for you to go mucking about in the dmr_content objects, but as
long as you don't change any attributes, I think you'll be OK.

HTH,

Philip
URL du jour: http://www.rosencrantz.com/

DOCUMENTUM one content, multiple set of attributes

Post by taf_.. » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

This is a typical problem which may be solved
with Virtual Documents.

You can do the following:

1) Create your master drawing as a regular
   dm_document type (with no additional attribute).
   A user defined attribute is also possible.

2) Create your user defined pipeline document
   WITH NO CONTENT.

3) Convert the pipeline document(s) to VDM,
   and drop the master drawing as a compoenent.

Why would you write code to solve an out of the
box solution?  Identifying the master content
objects might be painful.  With VDMs, the GUI
is already there.  Moreover, there are some nice
tools.  For example, by highlighting the master
drawing and selecting "Locations", you will get
all the pipelines & folders that are linked to
the master drawing.

--TAF

Quote:> Hello, =

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

DOCUMENTUM one content, multiple set of attributes

Post by Matt Anthon » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You've already got some great suggestions.  VDM is probably the way to go.

However, you can directly associate multiple files to a single content
object.  By setting the i_contents_id to the object_id of the "target" file,
you can associate multiple sets of attributes to the same content file.
You can do this in many ways, including using the SaveAsNew, or by setting
the attribute on an existing object (don't worry, the 'orphaned' content
created this way will get cleared up by DM_clean).

Pulling it back is hard -- at least via the UI.  If you picked an object,
you first have to get its i_contents_id, then you can find all the others
that share it with a simple query.  It would be relatively easy to write a
customization that would pick up all the related documents with a menu
choice for a selected document.  It would be harder to give any clue that
there were related documents.

[...]

1. Link many attributes in one table to one attribute in

A easy way to handle this:

create table marble
(
    id     int4 primary key,
    color1 int4,
    color2 int4,
    color3 int4
);

create table color
(
    id     int4,
    desc   text
);

color1, color2, and color3 point to the id in color table.

This way you can expand your color table indefinitely.

--
Wei Weng
Network Software Engineer

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

2. CFP: HICSS-32 (Minitrack-2: Distributed Replication and Caching)

3. Link many attributes in one table to one attribute in another??

4. Macs/][e's sharing printers

5. Content of Multiple Sets

6. Graphics in LaTeX

7. Multiple Computers With Speakers - One Speaker Set

8. Help: Window suicide

9. Multiple Sorts in One Data Set

10. output set from proc contents applied to another data set

11. Documentum and content management

12. Setting multiple objects via single SNMP set command

13. SR and Document Content Macro Attributes