Handling Large Blocks of Text in Excel

Post by Padr » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:50:26

 I have a number of different Excel front-ends that I use to extract
information from various corporate database systems.     One area of
frustration arises when I am pulling large blocks of text from various note
fields on various SQL servers.    I often hit the Excels built in text
limits for individual cells.  As a work around I starting using Excels
built in Text Boxes which works, however I am struggling with dynamically
resizing these text boxes.  I want to keep a certain width and adjust the
length/height of the text boxes to accommodate varying amounts of text
(this is required for printouts containing various information stored in
cells + the entire text entry)
OR
If there are alternative method besides Text Boxes, I'm all ears...

Thank  you in advance for your help.

Handling Large Blocks of Text in Excel

Post by Asa Rossof » Sat, 24 Mar 2012 17:34:22

Hi Padre,

Just enable Resize Shape to Fit Text in the properties.

You might also consider using a userform and Active X Text Box, which has
scroll bars available.

See Debra Dalgleish's tutorial at
www.contextures.com/exceltextboxformat.html for more on the worksheet Text
Box.

Asa

On Behalf Of Padre
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 10:50 PM

Subject: $$Excel-Macros$$ Handling Large Blocks of Text in Excel

I have a number of different Excel front-ends that I use to extract
information from various corporate database systems.     One area of
frustration arises when I am pulling large blocks of text from various note
fields on various SQL servers.    I often hit the Excel's built in text
limits for individual cells.  As a work around I starting using Excel's
built in Text Boxes which works, however I am struggling with dynamically
resizing these text boxes.  I want to keep a certain width and adjust the
length/height of the text boxes to accommodate varying amounts of text (this
is required for printouts containing various information stored in cells +
the entire text entry)

OR

If there are alternative method besides Text Boxes, I'm all ears...

Thank  you in advance for your help.

1) Use concise, accurate thread titles. Poor thread titles, like Please
Help, Urgent, Need Help, Formula Problem, Code Problem, and Need Advice will
not get quick attention or may not be answered.

3) Don't post questions regarding breaking or bypassing any security
measure.

5) Cross-promotion of, or links to, forums competitive to this forum in
signatures are prohibited.

NOTE : Don't ever post personal or confidential data in a workbook. Forum