pigiRpc sucks all memory

Post by Ian Buckle » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to install Ptolemy0.6 from the source and
binary distributions on the Infomagic Linux2.0 CD disk set.

The binary distributions fail on both a Linux1.2.13(Slackware3.0)
system and a Linux2.0.0 system (slackware) because of missing
shared libraries (e.g librpcserver.so).

The source distribution compiles cleanly (some complaints about
unused SCCS information and at least 1 complaint about a variable
declared but unused). I used the supplied patch to produce a statically
linked version, and checked/fixed all other documented probelms.

When I fire pigi up in the demo directory, all initially works,
vem pops up etc... but then (watching with top) pigiRpc go's
ballistic.

As I watch the resident set size (RES) grows rapidly to occupy all
my physical memory (48MB), but the total process size (SIZE)
remains sane at several hundred KBytes. At this point the machine
swaps like crazy and I can do nothing for 10 minutes whilst it
presumably uses all virtual memory for the ever expanding pigiRpc.
Then suddenly its back and responsive but with no pigiRpc process.

Do's this ring any bells with somebody before I start to expend
exponential
time on debuging this??

Thanks
        Ian

Ian Buckley, 8x8 Inc.           | Phone: 408 654 0897

Santa Clara,                    |
CA 95054.                       |

pigiRpc sucks all memory

Post by Christopher Hylan » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

   I have been trying to install Ptolemy0.6 from the source and
   binary distributions on the Infomagic Linux2.0 CD disk set.

   The binary distributions fail on both a Linux1.2.13(Slackware3.0)
   system and a Linux2.0.0 system (slackware) because of missing
   shared libraries (e.g librpcserver.so).
------
You probably need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
$PTOLEMY/octtools/lib.$PTARCH

I believe that this is covered in the binary distribution README.
Also, check out $PTOLEMY/.cshrc

------
[...]

Interesting.  48Mb should be enought physical memory.  You could try
building a pigiRpc.debug and then running the de* and seeing
where it is cosuming all the memory.

The Programmer's Manual has more info about pigiRpc.debug, check out
http://www.veryComputer.com/

BTW - I did not know that Infomagic was shipping Ptolemy sources and
binaries.  I searched their website for 'ptolemy' but came up empty
handed.

-Christopher

1. Xbox sucks Xbox sucks Xbox sucks Xbox sucks Xbox sucks Xbox sucks Xbox sucks Xbo

[...]

2. Graph.h

3. xbox sucks xbox sucks xbox sucks xbox sucks xbox sucks xbox sucks xbox sucks xbo

4. DOORS doesn't compile with TAO 1.2

5. DNS servers performance

6. xBoX SuCkS xBoX SuCkS xBoX SuCkS xBoX SuCkS xBoX SuCkS xBoX SuCkS xBoX SuCkS xBo

7. C++ library compiler errors

8. The Thing SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS DON"T WASTE $

9. PS2 Sucks, Gamecube Sucks, X-box Rules!

10. Gamecubs sucks, it really really sucks!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Its sucks

11. pigiRpc linking problem

12. I can't start pigiRPC, HELP.