Any idea why this isn't working?

Post by Al » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:46:47

Quote:> I've been trying to download a PDS containing several hundred JSL files to
> DP92C printer using the Hostcopy method and although I can get it to work
> using fonts,forms etc, I can't get it to work using ASCII files. To
download
> the fonts I used the JCL that I grabbed from the Xerox tech-support web
page
> 'JCL to Download Entire PDS'. A note on the page says 'This is set up to
> handle a 128 LRECL library, but could be modified to work with the 80
bytes
> libraries as well.' I've changed the DJDE obviously or the fonts wouldn't
> work but for the other stuff, the controller just sits there not
ackowledging
> the download which disppears off the JES, so plainly it is going down to
the
> controller.

> Anybody any ideas where I'm going wrong?

--- Snip Sig. ---

Your description above is describing two entirely different methods of
copying files to an LPS. In HOSTCOPY mode there are no DJDE's used because
the utility doesn't know from DJDE's. DJDE file transfer (as described in
the bulletin) using the example JCL (JCL2 in the bulletin) requires that an
ONLINE job be started at the printer running in "normal" operating system
mode, using a JDE/JDL that has the appropriate DJDE IDEN statement in it to
match the DJDE IDEN being used by the JCL when it is executed. For more
detailed info on the DJDE FILE TRANSFER process see the section in your
printers Operations Manual, or whatever they are calling it now.

Al

---

Post by Al » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:41:13

> [...]

> > copying files to an LPS. In HOSTCOPY mode there are no DJDE's used
because
> > the utility doesn't know from DJDE's. DJDE file transfer (as described
in
> > the bulletin) using the example JCL (JCL2 in the bulletin) requires that
an
> > ONLINE job be started at the printer running in "normal" operating
system
> > mode, using a JDE/JDL that has the appropriate DJDE IDEN statement in it
> > match the DJDE IDEN being used by the JCL when it is executed. For more
> > detailed info on the DJDE FILE TRANSFER process see the section in your
> > printers Operations Manual, or whatever they are calling it now.

> I'm afraid that's incorrect. The JCL inserts a *DJDE* at the very
beginning
> of the print file. I *have* downloaded the JSLs to the printer but that's
> using a print job with a *DJDE* between each and as you say, with the
printer
> in ONLINE mode and started. I want to HOSTCOPY the files.

> Here's the complete JCL -
> //XRXDOWNL JOB (H-ZZZZZ-NUOC-ZZZ),
> //             'DUMP PDS TO XRX',
> //             CLASS=X,
> //             MSGCLASS=X,
> //             NOTIFY=WALKEC2
> //DUMPALL  EXEC PGM=IEBPTPCH
> //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
> //SYSUT2   DD DSN=&&TEMP,UNIT=SYSDA,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(400,20)),
> //         DCB=(LRECL=128,BLKSIZE=128,RECFM=FB)
> //SYSUT1   DD DSN=NUTSO.WALKEC2.DR.RESOURCE.FONTLIB,
> //         DISP=SHR,
> //         DCB=(LRECL=128,BLKSIZE=512,RECFM=FB)
> //SYSIN    DD *
>   PRINT TYPORG=PO,MAXFLDS=1,PREFORM=A
>   RECORD FIELD=(128)
> //ADDDJDE EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
> //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=Z
> //SYSUT1   DD *
> *DJDE* FILE=(),END;
> //SYSUT2   DD SYSOUT=(T,,DLOD)
> //SYSIN    DD DUMMY
> //ADDBYTE  EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
> //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
> //SYSUT1   DD DSN=&&TEMP,UNIT=SYSDA,DISP=(OLD,PASS),
> //         DCB=*.DUMPALL.SYSUT2
> //SYSUT2   DD SYSOUT=(T,,DLOD),
> //         DCB=(LRECL=129,BLKSIZE=129,RECFM=FB)
> //SYSIN    DD *
>   GENERATE MAXFLDS=2,MAXLITS=1
>   RECORD FIELD=(1,'*',,129),FIELD=(128,1,,1)
> /*
> //

> That's the one that works. It *correctly* inserts the *DJDE* FILE=(),END;
> line at the start of the print file. The ESS will download all 1200 fonts
> that are in my NUTSO.WALKEC2 font library. I want to modify the above JCL
> download ASCII files. The note that accompanied the JCL on the Xerox
> tech-support web site, said that the JSL/FSL files needed a header so I
added
> that with the PACK program from Elixir. Those things look fine. So what do
> need to do to the JCL to make it work in hostcopy mode?

I say again, HOSTCOPY and DJDE FILE= are two entirely different methods of
downloading resources to a channel attached LPS. HOSTCOPY is a stand alone
system that has to be selected from a BOOT prompt. It expects to see
IEBGENER $$START card at the beginning of a file and a $$END card at the end
of the file. The file must have a Xerox Standard Label (128 bytes). If you
watch the LPS monitor during this process you will see the file names listed
as the process goes on.
DJDE FILE= will only work under the full operating system. As to changing
the JCL for what you want to do, I don't really know as you have supposedly
created a "label" record for each individual file and I assume the label is
128 bytes in length? while the data portion is still 80 bytes? If it were
just a matter of sending individual files without the label then you would
just put the "File Name" in the DJDE record and change the LRECL to reflect
80 instead of 128 etc. But until you determine which method you actually
want to use this discussion is moot. The JCL you have above not for
HOSTCOPYing files to the LPS.

Al

---

Post by Al » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 05:55:54

> [snip]

> > 80 instead of 128 etc. But until you determine which method you actually
> > want to use this discussion is moot. The JCL you have above not for
> > HOSTCOPYing files to the LPS.

> Then I suggest you tell Xerox that. They wrote the JCL. I merely grabbed
it
> from their tech-support site. Perhaps you could also explain to me, and
them,
> how come it *does* work for fonts and other binary files I downloaded in
> hostcopy mode.

Lets see if we can't straighten out exactly what mode you were in when you
successfully "downloaded" the fonts, etc.
Did you have to issue an "STA somejdename,somejdlname" at the printer
controller, or was the printer already in an online and started state as it
normally would be in order to print a regular online job?
If so, then this mode is the DJDE file transfer mode which is what your JCL
is meant to do.
HOSTCOPY mode, as I've tried to explain earlier, is a Standalone, dumb
version of the OS, which doesn't know from DJDE's because it doesn't contain
the DJDE processing task, among others. You have to manually "BOOT" the
controller and then select HOSTCOPY from a menu in order to put the machine
into this mode of operation. In HOSTCOPY mode, you cannot issue any commands
at the printer terminal, so of course it won't do anything but process the
various "FILE" data that comes down the channel assuming its formatted
correctly, as the name implies.

Al

---

Any idea why this isn't working?

Post by Bob Hosi » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:36:54

I think you are not paying attention to what has been said and is very
correct.  If you are using the "HOSTCOPY" facility which you reach at boot
time on the LPS, not with the LPS in operating mode, it is enabled to get 80
char records from the IBM host via the Bus/Tag channel.  This was used for
card image data which could be resorces like FRM,FNT etc.

The newer method is using the FILE=DJDE which allows files from a host to be
loaded to the LPS inline with normal printing activities.  It is used
sometimes to download secured fonts inline with the print data for MICR or
Check printing applications. It also can be used to transfer any file like
FRM, FNT, PCH, TST etc.

If you are familiar with the Xerox SST Tape, it is devided into two
sections - Offline Sysgen, and the 2nd set of files is for Online Sysgen and
was used when a customer had no tape drive on the 9700/8700 printer.  In
those cases, the file format was 80 character records with all files
concatinated without end of file markers so the entire tape looked like on
giant logical file.

The JCL you are looking at takes records of 128 bytes and makes them 129
bytes with an * in the 129th position.  This is done because JES sometimes
wants to truncate files with spaces at the end of it.  When you are
transferring executable software, there is a likelyhood that could occurr-
The 129 byte of * makes sure the entire record is sent-  The printer see's
that and knows that more is coming to complete that transfer-

Bob

Post by mullen » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:55:42

> I can download anything, JSLs, FSLs, FNTs, LGOs using the printing method
> i.e. ONL, STA DLOD,DFAULT but that's using entirely different JCL. I have
> even written some REXX to extract the filenames of the FSLs to generate a
> command file which is also downloaded as a print file currently, to compile
> all the FSLs when they're on the printer. I am trying to use the hostcopy
> method because when trying to download in excess of 1000 fonts, the printer
> would occassionally run out of memory and declare 'insufficient dynamic
> memory for DJDEs' and I'd have to restart the printer and it would simply
> carry on with the download. I want print ops to be able to do this stuff and
> so I can't have it falling over with errors like that. Hence I have to
> consider other methods.

If the printer issues the message "Insufficient dynamic memory for DJDEs",
then there is a problem with your system.  There may be some patch that would
correct the problem if you have the time for it to be found.  If you can
supply a reproducable problem, then resolution might come more quickly.

Problems have been known to occur in the past when a downloaded file
overwrites a file of the same name, so it may help if you start with a clean
system.

Richard