VMEM.PURE.STATE MESSAGE ID 3709.9005110300 OF FRI 11 MAY 90 04:00:46 BST

VMEM.PURE.STATE MESSAGE ID 3709.9005110300 OF FRI 11 MAY 90 04:00:46 BST

Post by GA0593%SIUCVMB.BIT.. » Tue, 15 May 1990 23:31:31

TO EXECUTE FROM AN INTERLISP EXEC DO
(VMEM.PURE.STATE T)
the response from the machine is
nil
the previous state
THEN DO SAVEVM from the background menu
then it is done, the state of the virtual memory is preserved at that
point, you can then turn the machine off and reboot or do a beta reset
and reboot and you will be exactly where you were at the crucial SAVEVM.
You cannot do more than one SaveVM after setting (VMEM.PURE.STATE T).
You cannot saveVM while VMEM.PURE.STATE is T. To change it you must
execute (VMEM.PURE.STATE NIL).  VMEM.PURE.STATE is very handy if several
users are using the same sysout on the same machine, they can reboot to
the same point.
The virtual memory still fills up as usual but the reboot vmem pointer is
locked at the crucial point. Also you cannot make a sysout with VMEM.PURE.
STATE T. You must change it to NIL before you can SYSOUT, MAKESYS, or SaveVM.
I hope this helps!

Dick Coulson

1. VMEM.PURE.STATE, SEdit

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query -- despite the typo
whereby I said I was doing (VMEM.PURE.STATE) when I was really doing
(VMEM.PURE.STATE T)!  The problem is now solved:  It seems that some
piece of code in the machine was fouling things up:  even after
setting VMEM.PURE.STATE, it would let me logout, but then fail to come
back in a particularly nasty way.  At the time, I was trying to
compile PCL; I've given that up, and now everything is fine.

And now another question: it seems that SEdit's formatting is
controlled by the function GET-FORMAT, which is SETF-able.  Thus I can
say:

    (setf (sedit::get-format 'if)
       '(:indent (2) :inline t :args (:keyword nil)))

To get the sort of formatting I like for IF.  Question: does there
exist any description of the full syntax of the formatting
expressions?  I've not been able to find one in the manuals, and it's
fairly painful trying to work it out by example.

--tim

2. Contract Programming?

3. VMEM.PURE.STATE

4. GREAT!!! News for BellSouth ISDN

5. Today in the RadCom -- Fri 28 May 1999

6. Whatever happened to nested func's?

7. c2c positions with Harrier---date 11 may

8. REPOST: Fourmis en Java / Ants in Java

9. CHI '95 * May 7-11 * Early Registration Reminder

10. Compiler positions available for week ending May 11

11. Ashish Koul : Most Helpful Member - May'11