Phaser 8200- how to add more ram

Post by Dtomm » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:05:33

So I NEED more ram in my Phaser 8200.  I currently have 128 installed
and I understand (have heard) I have an extra port for another 128
ram.  I spoke with Xerox about this and was told they  want  $900 for
a 128 ram card.  After I got up off the floor, I tried to find a
better (cheaper) way.  I know full well, I can get a 128 ram card damn
near anywhere for under 50 bucks.
So what gives?  Whats the deal with $900 ram and a $1000 hard drive?
Is Xerox drinking malt liquor in the parking lot before work or what?

Phaser 8200- how to add more ram

Post by Tedi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:47:51

simply

buy so-dimm (ask for ram for notebook) , SYNCH., 100MHz, CL2. (this is
original - you can find better, but it is not nesessary)
You have to turn off Phaser at first!!!
Pull out motherboard (two white screws at backside)
find ram and replace

I m not sure - but there are probably two sockets - it is important to use
same ram on both sockets.

then start phaser

then go to printer setup / advanced
find 'ram installed'
choose quantity
OK

thats all folks

remember - turning off Your Phaser causes printhead clogging. after turning
on it will go through cleaning procedure (it will eat some sticks) so make
sure it is really nessesary to install more ram.
AND if You have Your superb 8200 on guaratee...

someone on group sent info on harddrive - but probably installation is not
possible. original HD if 'special formatted' whatever it means.

cheers
ted

Quote:> So I NEED more ram in my Phaser 8200.  I currently have 128 installed
> and I understand (have heard) I have an extra port for another 128
> ram.  I spoke with Xerox about this and was told they  want  $900 for
> a 128 ram card.  After I got up off the floor, I tried to find a
> better (cheaper) way.  I know full well, I can get a 128 ram card damn
> near anywhere for under 50 bucks.
> So what gives?  Whats the deal with $900 ram and a $1000 hard drive?
> Is Xerox drinking malt liquor in the parking lot before work or what?

Phaser 8200- how to add more ram

Post by Tedi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:55:11

hey,
why you need more ram??
I had 64 original
had free 128 ram chip (old one from notebook)
installed by myself of course
runs fine

for me - problem is in communication (USB is little to slow)

Quote:> So I NEED more ram in my Phaser 8200.  I currently have 128 installed
> and I understand (have heard) I have an extra port for another 128
> ram.  I spoke with Xerox about this and was told they  want  $900 for
> a 128 ram card.  After I got up off the floor, I tried to find a
> better (cheaper) way.  I know full well, I can get a 128 ram card damn
> near anywhere for under 50 bucks.
> So what gives?  Whats the deal with $900 ram and a $1000 hard drive?
> Is Xerox drinking malt liquor in the parking lot before work or what?

Phaser 8200- how to add more ram

Post by Huey » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:49:41

The big thing is that the Ram that Xerox has for these units are spec'd
and tested.  You can use your own, however if issues happen and they
find non-xerox parts, then your footing the whole bill for a call, if it
is a onsite visit.

The HD is a tad different. They formated it and loaded software on there
that the printer uses specially for the printer.  If you stick a simular
HD in, it will not use it.

>So I NEED more ram in my Phaser 8200.  I currently have 128 installed
>and I understand (have heard) I have an extra port for another 128
>ram.  I spoke with Xerox about this and was told they  want  $900 for
>a 128 ram card.  After I got up off the floor, I tried to find a
>better (cheaper) way.  I know full well, I can get a 128 ram card damn
>near anywhere for under 50 bucks.
>So what gives?  Whats the deal with $900 ram and a $1000 hard drive?
>Is Xerox drinking malt liquor in the parking lot before work or what?

Phaser 8200- how to add more ram

Post by Tedi » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:24:28

it is normal that Xerox wants to earn some cash on upgrades. It is
normal.Everyone has same guarantee conditions.
but 900 bucks for 128 ram - it is unbelievable. and 1000 for HD too.
 as I want HD and NIC (lan card) to be original - ram is not the same.

Phaser 8200- how to add more ram

Post by Bianc » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:42:53

 someone wrote what type of HD is in Phaser 8200
could You repeat it please?

I am not sure is there a socket for HD, or has it to be installed?
format procedure and initdisk are available at xerox.com (?)
so...
it should be quite easy to install

> The big thing is that the Ram that Xerox has for these units are spec'd
> and tested.  You can use your own, however if issues happen and they
> find non-xerox parts, then your footing the whole bill for a call, if it
> is a onsite visit.

> The HD is a tad different. They formated it and loaded software on there
> that the printer uses specially for the printer.  If you stick a simular
> HD in, it will not use it.

> >So I NEED more ram in my Phaser 8200.  I currently have 128 installed
> >and I understand (have heard) I have an extra port for another 128
> >ram.  I spoke with Xerox about this and was told they  want  $900 for
> >a 128 ram card.  After I got up off the floor, I tried to find a
> >better (cheaper) way.  I know full well, I can get a 128 ram card damn
> >near anywhere for under 50 bucks.
> >So what gives?  Whats the deal with $900 ram and a $1000 hard drive?
> >Is Xerox drinking malt liquor in the parking lot before work or what?

1. Color matching with Xerox Phaser 8200

We've got a brand new Xerox Phaser 8200 for printing color proofs.
The color, though, is way off from both the screen and the press.
Purple/violet, for example, comes out as dark blue on the Phaser
brown/tan comes out gold.

We use Quark 4.1 Mac for the vast majority of this work.  I've tried
using the Phaser's profile in both ColorSync and Quark CMS which will
slightly change photos (gamma?) but not solid colors and gradients.
The only time I got a change in the solids was when I printed from
Quark as Composite RGB instead of CMYK, but this only seemed to work
on one particular job.  Also, when I printed a box in pure C, M, and
Y, the C looked almost green.

Is anyone using this printer for proofing, or anything else that
requires accurate color?  If not, any general suggestions?  Thanks in
advance for any help.

2. travroute 2.0, destinator

3. USB on Phaser 8200

4. Direct video writes: VioGetBuf() broken?

5. Xerox Phaser 8200 DIY upgrade info required :p~

6. SDS & Firewall

7. XEROX Phaser 8200

8. Bug in 18.48 install for X use?

9. Color matching with Xerox Phaser 8200

10. Phaser 8200 Problems

11. Phaser 860/8200 Hard Disk

12. Phaser 8200 on Transparency

13. Hands on with the phaser 8200