Xerox WorkCentre 470CX - Power Up Failure

Xerox WorkCentre 470CX - Power Up Failure

Post by Mahiudd » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:00:35

My machine used to work but now fails to power up i.e it fails to
perform a self diagnostic test and the LCD display is blank.

I know the power from the wall socket is functional and the fuze in
the machine is not blown.  The area around where the power cord is
connected gets warm if left connected.

Xerox troubleshooting merely suggests checking whether the supply
source is working which I have verified it is.  It does not suggest
other avenues if this diagnosed not to be the problem.  The machine
has been disconnected from my PC and from the telephone.  With nothing
attached to it apart from the power cord from the wall socket it fails
to power up.

I have only very occasionally used this machine since taking possesion
and it is a great disappointment to observe this behaviour.

Anybody have any ideas what the cause might be for the machine not to
power up ?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.

Xerox WorkCentre 470CX - Power Up Failure

Post by Thil » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:20:36

On the right side of the PSU the Centronics board is located, and above
those two the papertray.
Above/behind the papertray the main board is located and thats the source of
your troubles.
You can try to resat all of the connectors, but i'm afraid the board is
fried.
Cause... unknown, maby a gremling did a hit n' run on the damn thing or it
plain just got a power surge......

Quote:> My machine used to work but now fails to power up i.e it fails to
> perform a self diagnostic test and the LCD display is blank.

> I know the power from the wall socket is functional and the fuze in
> the machine is not blown.  The area around where the power cord is
> connected gets warm if left connected.

> Xerox troubleshooting merely suggests checking whether the supply
> source is working which I have verified it is.  It does not suggest
> other avenues if this diagnosed not to be the problem.  The machine
> has been disconnected from my PC and from the telephone.  With nothing
> attached to it apart from the power cord from the wall socket it fails
> to power up.

> I have only very occasionally used this machine since taking possesion
> and it is a great disappointment to observe this behaviour.

> Anybody have any ideas what the cause might be for the machine not to
> power up ?

> Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.

---

Xerox WorkCentre 470CX - Power Up Failure

Post by Mahiudd » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:35:08

Thanks for your response.  I tested the power at the main board and it
does have 0.87V across the power leads connected to it.  So the main
board is getting the power supply.  Looks like the main board is not
responding.

I couldn't find a board with "Centronics" written on it, however.

If it was a power surge that caused this failure to occur then
shouldn't the fuse on power supply board have given way first.

If it wasn't a power surge then what would cause an internal failure ?
 I know I'm trying to clutch at straws here, I'm just curious.

Now that I'm in the market to purchase another printer and not wanting
to purchase a Xerox machine (from my recent experience) I'm now
contemplating purchasing a Canon model (i550 or i850).  I'm looking
for reliability, quality and cost effectiveness.  The printer will
essentially be used for children's homework and some photo printing.
Any body disagree with my choice.

Thanks.

> On the right side of the PSU the Centronics board is located, and above
> those two the papertray.
> Above/behind the papertray the main board is located and thats the source of
> your troubles.
> You can try to resat all of the connectors, but i'm afraid the board is
> fried.
> Cause... unknown, maby a gremling did a hit n' run on the damn thing or it
> plain just got a power surge......

Xerox WorkCentre 470CX - Power Up Failure

Post by Thil » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:56:20

"Centronics" is the type of conector that is used on the printer end when
usin a parallel cabel.
If a power surge is a short spike (high on volts, low on amps) then it wont
blow the fuse.

It could also be cause by a spike/surge through the phone cable.

Reg Canon : Go to Canon forum.

advice : check out the pricing on the ink before choosing any kind of
printer, thats where the high maintenance cost is.
some times you can by a brand new printer at the same price or cheaper than
the inks cost

> Thanks for your response.  I tested the power at the main board and it
> does have 0.87V across the power leads connected to it.  So the main
> board is getting the power supply.  Looks like the main board is not
> responding.

> I couldn't find a board with "Centronics" written on it, however.

> If it was a power surge that caused this failure to occur then
> shouldn't the fuse on power supply board have given way first.

> If it wasn't a power surge then what would cause an internal failure ?
>  I know I'm trying to clutch at straws here, I'm just curious.

> Now that I'm in the market to purchase another printer and not wanting
> to purchase a Xerox machine (from my recent experience) I'm now
> contemplating purchasing a Canon model (i550 or i850).  I'm looking
> for reliability, quality and cost effectiveness.  The printer will
> essentially be used for children's homework and some photo printing.
> Any body disagree with my choice.

> Thanks.

Quote:> > On the right side of the PSU the Centronics board is located, and above
> > those two the papertray.
> > Above/behind the papertray the main board is located and thats the
source of
> > your troubles.
> > You can try to resat all of the connectors, but i'm afraid the board is
> > fried.
> > Cause... unknown, maby a gremling did a hit n' run on the damn thing or
it
> > plain just got a power surge......

---

1. Xerox WorkCentre 470cx and Windows 2000 network printing problem

Hello,

 I have small home network. One PC is running Windows 98 and other is
 running Windows 2000 Professional. Since this is simple network, only
 NetBEUI protocol is installed, and file sharing works just fine.
 Both versions of Windows (98 and 2000) are "out of box", no service packs
 installed, not any hotfixes, etc. Also, no any memory resident software on
 both machines.

 Xerox WorkCentre 470cx is installed on Windows 98 machine. It is working
 fine there. However, I wanted to install it also on Windows 2000 machine,
 as network printer. I shared WorkCentre 470cx  on Windows 98 machine like
 \\W98PC\XEROX

 But, no matter if I:

 a) in Windows 2000 go to Settings / Printers, Add printer /Network Printer,
 I then do a browse, find a XEROX attached to W98PC and installation seems
 to be done just fine. However, when I try to print anything from Windows
 2000 machine I can see spooled printing task of 29 bytes (?) which stays
 there indefinitely... And what is even worse, when I cancel that print
 task, printer driver stops responding (I can't send anything else to
 printer - like there is no printer driver installed).

 OR

 b) install (from supplied original Xerox driver CD) drivers for WorkCentre
 470cx on Windows 2000 and choose \\W98PC\XEROX as a printing port (instead
 of LPTx) - same symptoms.

 Anybody had same problem?
 Any tip for a solution?

 ThanX in advance!

2. EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL

3. workcentre 470cx and windows xp

4. Prototyp / Platinen Entwickler gesucht

5. Workcentre 470cx and MS Word

6. os/2 modem server

7. NEED HELP WITH WORKCENTRE 470CX!!!

8. PC Power On After Power Failure

9. Power On after power failure not working (Motherboard M787CLR/M787CL)

10. 480cx workcentre firmware upgrade failure - HELP!

11. Xerox WorkCentre 385 scanner won't install in Windows 2000

12. Xerox Workcentre: Need Information