VMEM.PURE.STATE, SEdit

Post by tim%cstr.edinburgh.ac.. » Fri, 18 May 1990 20:40:32

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query -- despite the typo
whereby I said I was doing (VMEM.PURE.STATE) when I was really doing
(VMEM.PURE.STATE T)!  The problem is now solved:  It seems that some
piece of code in the machine was fouling things up:  even after
setting VMEM.PURE.STATE, it would let me logout, but then fail to come
back in a particularly * way.  At the time, I was trying to
compile PCL; I've given that up, and now everything is fine.

And now another question: it seems that SEdit's formatting is
controlled by the function GET-FORMAT, which is SETF-able.  Thus I can
say:

    (setf (sedit::get-format 'if)
       '(:indent (2) :inline t :args (:keyword nil)))

To get the sort of formatting I like for IF.  Question: does there
exist any description of the full syntax of the formatting
expressions?  I've not been able to find one in the manuals, and it's
fairly painful trying to work it out by example.

--tim

VMEM.PURE.STATE, SEdit

Post by Ulf Dahl » Sat, 19 May 1990 01:57:07

>And now another question: it seems that SEdit's formatting is
>controlled by the function GET-FORMAT, which is SETF-able.  Thus I can
>say:

>    (setf (sedit::get-format 'if)
>       '(:indent (2) :inline t :args (:keyword nil)))

>To get the sort of formatting I like for IF.  Question: does there
>exist any description of the full syntax of the formatting
>expressions?  I've not been able to find one in the manuals, and it's
>fairly painful trying to work it out by example.

There is an exported defining function sedit:def-list-format that takes args:
    name {doc} &key indent args inline miser last sublists

I would be very grateful if someone could produce a documentation for
this!

There is also an alist sedit:*indent-alist* that looks like it
contains definitions of how different indentations should be done.

As these symbols and also get-format are exported, they are meant to
be used, aren't they???

__________
Ulf Dahlen
Work:  Dept of Computer & Info Science, University of Linkoping, Sweden

Home:  Troskaregatan 51:23, S-583 30  Linkoping, Sweden
"The beginning is a very delicate time."

1. VMEM.PURE.STATE MESSAGE ID 3709.9005110300 OF FRI 11 MAY 90 04:00:46 BST

TO EXECUTE FROM AN INTERLISP EXEC DO
(VMEM.PURE.STATE T)
the response from the machine is
nil
the previous state
THEN DO SAVEVM from the background menu
then it is done, the state of the virtual memory is preserved at that
point, you can then turn the machine off and reboot or do a beta reset
and reboot and you will be exactly where you were at the crucial SAVEVM.
You cannot do more than one SaveVM after setting (VMEM.PURE.STATE T).
You cannot saveVM while VMEM.PURE.STATE is T. To change it you must
execute (VMEM.PURE.STATE NIL).  VMEM.PURE.STATE is very handy if several
users are using the same sysout on the same machine, they can reboot to
the same point.
The virtual memory still fills up as usual but the reboot vmem pointer is
locked at the crucial point. Also you cannot make a sysout with VMEM.PURE.
STATE T. You must change it to NIL before you can SYSOUT, MAKESYS, or SaveVM.
I hope this helps!

Dick Coulson

2. Serial No

3. VMEM.PURE.STATE

4. Limiting outgoing mail to domain

5. HELP - vmem.c(54): 0 page release

6. Question agout hard drive upgrading

7. OID for VMEM WIN-NT4

8. UML -- setting the state of object in state

9. How to display a caption of the state symbol in UML state diagram?

10. Sedit Enhancements

11. Use TTYEdit with SEdit

12. sedit window popping up after errors?