Xerox 5799 support question, not sys.xerox

Xerox 5799 support question, not sys.xerox

Post by Spadge Fromle » Tue, 08 May 2001 19:28:01

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with the Xerox 5799 colour
printer/copier?  We have one in our office, and it's plugged into a
fiery x2 server, on a Win NT4 network, comprising 60 or so machines
running Win2k.

Problem is, it works fine on all computers in the office, except one.
They all use the same drivers, so why would it possibly not work on
one machine?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Eliot Earle

Xerox 5799 support question, not sys.xerox

Post by Michael Slad » Tue, 08 May 2001 20:28:15

1- It is not the 5799!
2- What do you mean by 'doesn't work'?
3- What else works that requires network connectivity on the one that
'doesn't work'?

From the meager description of the problem, I'd be thinking wrong TCPIP
setup on the 'doesn't work' machine.

Michael Slade

Quote:> Hi all

> Does anyone have any experience with the Xerox 5799 colour
> printer/copier?  We have one in our office, and it's plugged into a
> fiery x2 server, on a Win NT4 network, comprising 60 or so machines
> running Win2k.

> Problem is, it works fine on all computers in the office, except one.
> They all use the same drivers, so why would it possibly not work on
> one machine?

> Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

> TIA.

> Eliot Earle

Xerox 5799 support question, not sys.xerox

Post by Spadge Fromle » Tue, 08 May 2001 22:14:18

On Mon, 07 May 2001 11:28:15 GMT, "Michael Slade"

>1- It is not the 5799!

Quantify this statement.  If you mean it's not a hardware fault, I'm
inclined to agree with you.  It's probably something I'm missing
driver-wise.  I'm stumped as to what it could be though.

Quote:>2- What do you mean by 'doesn't work'?

Refuses to print.  Items are not being sent to the printer.

There is a pop-up error box that says that the problem could be caused
by one of three things: insufficient memory; connection or driver;
cables may be unplugged.

I would be astounded if it were any one of these things.

Quote:>3- What else works that requires network connectivity on the one that
>'doesn't work'?

Everything else. EG: all other printers work fine.

Quote:

>From the meager description of the problem, I'd be thinking wrong TCPIP
>setup on the 'doesn't work' machine.

OK, maybe I didn't go into much detail.  It's not the TCP/IP.  The
drivers installed on this machine are the same drivers as on all the
other machines on the network.  All installed from the same shortcut
on the network.  All the other machines see it fine.  There are no
TCP/IP issues on any other machine in the office.

Trying to run 'print test page' bombs out really quickly, saying test
page could not be prunt.

I hope this is enough information for you.

Thanks.

Eliot Earle

Post by Elmo P. Shagnast » Wed, 09 May 2001 06:32:14

Quote:> >2- What do you mean by 'doesn't work'?

> Refuses to print.  Items are not being sent to the printer.

Items are not being sent to the PRINTER, or items are not being sent OUT
OF THE COMPUTER to the NETWORK SERVER?  Those are two ENTIRELY different
things.

Quote:> OK, maybe I didn't go into much detail.  It's not the TCP/IP.  The
> drivers installed on this machine are the same drivers as on all the
> other machines on the network.  All installed from the same shortcut
> on the network.  All the other machines see it fine.  There are no
> TCP/IP issues on any other machine in the office.

> Trying to run 'print test page' bombs out really quickly, saying test
> page could not be prunt.

There are usually several items to check before anything else.

What's the print path?  Is it from your program to your Windows print
spool to a network server to the Fiery?  You did indicate that when you
said it was "a Win NT4 network".

If so, then your computer is saying it can't send the job to the network
server.  And that has nothing to do with anything other than the
communication between that computer and the NT print server and print
queue.

It has to get out of your computer and into the NT4 print queue on the
server before it does anything else.  But if your computer is
complaining that it can't get the job out to the NT server, then you
need to ignore anything else and focus on the communication between the
NT server and your computer.