ether weirdness

Post by vanMelle.. » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 22:03:00

[Cleaning up old mail here...]

This sounds a lot like the bug that occurs if your machine happens to have
any arps in its table that it updates during the approximately 2 minutes
surrounding the time that the millisecond clock turns over and is still
representable as a smallp.  This happens every 49.7 days; the last two
times have been 30-Apr-89 19:09:35 EDT and 19-Jun-89 12:12:23 EDT.

Clearing \AR.IP.TO.10MB.ALIST is a slightly less drastic remedy than
calling \IPINIT.

I believe this bug was fixed in Medley 1.1, if not sooner.

        Bill

ether weirdness

Post by Christopher Schmi » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 01:15:00

        I'd wondered where the IP ARP table was hidden...  Anyway, to
celebrate its revelation, I wrote the following Medley function to dump the
interesting stuff to the terminal (for the idly curious).  [I know I should
have used WITH to decode the NSHOSTNUMBER typerecord, but this way the
function can be compiled without additional support files.]
--Christopher

(DEFINEQ (SHOW-ARP-CACHE ()

(LAMBDA NIL (* ; "Edited 22-Jun-89 17:07 by cvs") "symbolically displays the
contents of the IP Protocol ARP cache" (for HOST in (SORT \AR.IP.TO.10MB.ALIST
(CL:FUNCTION (LAMBDA (A B) (< (fetch IPADDRESS of A) (fetch IPADDRESS of
B))))) do (with ARENTRY HOST (PRINTOUT T (CL:PROGV (QUOTE (TYPENAME UPPER
MIDDLE RIGHT)) ETHERADDRESS (CL:FORMAT NIL "~O.~O.~O" UPPER MIDDLE RIGHT)) 21
(IPHOSTNAME IPADDRESS) 35 (DOMAIN.LOOKUP.NAME IPADDRESS) T))))

))

1. ether weirdness

Does anyone out there encountered any break errors

        "illegal arg, time expired"

from the 1108/1186's before ?  This almost always happens whenever I reboot my
cisco box (the cisco is on the same net segment as my D-machines).  And when
this happens it seems that all my 1108's & 1186's get choked (with multiple
break windows saying "illegal arg, time expired").  Then, I'll have to do
ipinits to unchoke my d-machines.  And sometimes even when I do nothing on my
cisco box, I still get these "illegal arg, time expired" messages.

This is kind of weird.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.
--

regards.

-eric-

2. opinion request on Pioneer 24x SCSI

3. ppp and ether

4. Random #'s 0-1,000,000

5. Need a NE2000 Ether Driver for NS 3.3

6. Limited Admin access

7. ISA ether SMC16Ultra slow?

8. Epson Stylus Color Defaults (color vs. mono)

9. Best PCI or EISA Ether Card for NeXT/Intel

10. Problem with Linksys Ether 16 LAN card in a PowerSpec 2030 PC

11. ether packet as PPP packet

12. how could i get ether address!

13. Vworks Ether Hook and SNARF information