Phaser 740 hell. HELP!

Post by Roy N » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:13:25

I think one of the worst decisions I have ever made was to buy a Phaser 740.
Countless problems and headaches. And nothing but pay-per-incident support
for this printer that never should have been manufactured. I feel myself
about to go on a rant, so I'll get to the problem...

Lately I'm having problems with uneven toner density. The left and right
edges of the page are lighter than the middle - when I run a print test you
could say there are thing white streaks running vertically across the page
where the print density is too light. This is true for all colors. And
forget grayscale printing, sometimes it is practically imperceptible even in
the center of the page.

I've tried two different fusers (with two different fuser rolls) - one is
the latest version that resolves the toner flaking problems. I've cleaned
the transfer roller. I've tried using different paper sources. I've tried
different media types. My charge grid is just a few months old. All my toner
cartridges have been replaced within the last six months. Consumables page
reports 40% remaining on my imagining unit.

What on earth is going on here? Is there anything else I can do??? Seems
like I've tried just about everything.

I have a major project coming on and I need my printer to work. SOON!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Phaser 740 hell. HELP!

Post by generatorlab » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 11:34:56

You say your charge grid is ok but if your transfer grid is dirty images
will not transfer from the photoreceptor to the paper evenly. Dirty
grids are also infamous for arcing (usually in the middle as that is
where the wire tends to resonate (vibrate) most when charging)

I am not sure what the inside  of your printer looks like but you may
have more than one transfer grid. Sometimes there is a drum and then
another donor drum that acts as a holding station for you image as it
goes through the CMYK process. Check all transfer grids. They may not
all be in plain sight. You might have to remove covers to expose them all.

The best way to test your transfer grids is to CRASH (cause a fake jam)
the machine and look at how the image forms on the drum, donor drum etc.
If it is good on the drum then you definately should be looking at the
transfer grids. If not then you may have a charging problem or a drum
problem. If your grids have a thin plate over them with lots of slits in
  them and they have a light gray coating on them DO NOT TRY to clean
that coating off. That coating is there to help distribute the charge
evenly.

Yeah, I know who am I to offer this advice?  I used to work for Ricoh. I
can get around any machine pretty easily.

Hope it works.

> I think one of the worst decisions I have ever made was to buy a Phaser 740.
> Countless problems and headaches. And nothing but pay-per-incident support
> for this printer that never should have been manufactured. I feel myself
> about to go on a rant, so I'll get to the problem...

> Lately I'm having problems with uneven toner density. The left and right
> edges of the page are lighter than the middle - when I run a print test you
> could say there are thing white streaks running vertically across the page
> where the print density is too light. This is true for all colors. And
> forget grayscale printing, sometimes it is practically imperceptible even in
> the center of the page.

> I've tried two different fusers (with two different fuser rolls) - one is
> the latest version that resolves the toner flaking problems. I've cleaned
> the transfer roller. I've tried using different paper sources. I've tried
> different media types. My charge grid is just a few months old. All my toner
> cartridges have been replaced within the last six months. Consumables page
> reports 40% remaining on my imagining unit.

> What on earth is going on here? Is there anything else I can do??? Seems
> like I've tried just about everything.

> I have a major project coming on and I need my printer to work. SOON!

> PLEASE HELP!!!

1. help: can't connect to Phaser 740 over TCP/IP

can anyone help me? I'm trying to connect my Xerox Phaser 740 to my
windows network. It's not showing up at all. The IP address I assigned
is not pingable. I have the gateway set fine (at least I think I do)
the net mask, etc. I've tried DHCP on/off, just about every combo. of
settings.  Even going through the setup instructions from Xerox
windowsXP can't find the printer no matter what I seem to do.
DNS is enabled - by default if TCP/IP is but no DNS servers are
designated?
There is nowhere to designate a workgroup name and maybe that's the
trouble?
I have a Fiery RIP and that's is visible to the network (workgroup
name assigned) but not the phaser....
any suggestions?

thank you
Adam

2. FREE CD-ROMS

3. Re Phaser 740 Color laser from Tektronix

4. When a WIN-OS/2 app crashes OS/2

5. Tek Phaser 740 cleaning pads

6. When will MS send my MCSD certificate?

7. Phaser 740 colors

8. Color matching issues with Illustrator 10 and Phaser 740 (Tektronix)

9. Toner flaking on Phaser 740

10. Phaser 740

11. *** Phaser 740/780 Compatible Scanners ***

12. epson 1200u>740; best scanning res?