Using PJL with Docucenter 4xx

Post by Mark Landi » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:46:00

We are the "proud" owners of a number of Docucenter 425 432 440 and
490 multi-function copiers. We are trying to do some mildly fancy
printing to one of them from an Hewlett-Packard e3000 running MPE/iX
6.5 and using Minisoft's Netprint92.

What we are trying to do it to force the print job to be printed on
some other paper type than "plain". These are checks and use numbered
check stock so we don't want anyone else tromping on them. We tried
using standard PCL 5 commands (since the Docucenter 4xx supports PCL
5, doesn't it?) but that was fruitless.

Xerox sent us a document which described the PJL commands that must be
sent as part of the print job header (why couldn't Xerox be nice and
use the commands that already exist in the PCL command set to control
paper type, instead of kludge up their own PJL bastardization?)

Here's what we were trying to do:
print on "transparency" with color "clear", with no banner page.

Here's the PJL we thought should work:

Results were: printed on plain white paper, with banner page.

If we removed the OID_ATT_DEFAULT_MEDIUM_COLOR statement, then the
printer WOULD require transparency as a medium type, but it would
request WHITE transparency! While we could very well define the tray
with check stock as having white transparency in it, that's an extra
step for the user since transparency is assumed to have "clear" as
it's color.

So, we skipped transparency and went with "preprinted" paper type, and
this worked. However, we still got the banner page.

So why didn't our MEDIUM_COLOR statement work? Why can't we defeat the
banner page in this way? Any help appreciated...

Post by Spamles » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:32:35

(why couldn't Xerox be nice and
use the commands that already exist in the PCL command set to control
paper type, instead of kludge up their own PJL bastardization?)

We will honer PJL or exact tray calls....(last tray call in the PCL data is
honered). That means if you make a PJL media type call in your example....a
following PCL data exact tray call will overide it. As Xerox offers more
tray choices you need our guide for the extra tray commands. PCL tray calls
are different than media type PJL commands.

You might want to read the HP PCL manual for a better understanding of what
it takes to hand code PCL or PJL while refering to our DC Tip PDL reference
manual for our particular device dependant codes.

Don't blame Xerox for that bastardization....tis HP that owns PCL!!!!

> We are the "proud" owners of a number of Docucenter 425 432 440 and
> 490 multi-function copiers. We are trying to do some mildly fancy
> printing to one of them from an Hewlett-Packard e3000 running MPE/iX
> 6.5 and using Minisoft's Netprint92.

> What we are trying to do it to force the print job to be printed on
> some other paper type than "plain". These are checks and use numbered
> check stock so we don't want anyone else tromping on them. We tried
> using standard PCL 5 commands (since the Docucenter 4xx supports PCL
> 5, doesn't it?) but that was fruitless.

> Xerox sent us a document which described the PJL commands that must be
> sent as part of the print job header (why couldn't Xerox be nice and
> use the commands that already exist in the PCL command set to control
> paper type, instead of kludge up their own PJL bastardization?)

> Here's what we were trying to do:
> print on "transparency" with color "clear", with no banner page.

> Here's the PJL we thought should work:

> Results were: printed on plain white paper, with banner page.

> If we removed the OID_ATT_DEFAULT_MEDIUM_COLOR statement, then the
> printer WOULD require transparency as a medium type, but it would
> request WHITE transparency! While we could very well define the tray
> with check stock as having white transparency in it, that's an extra
> step for the user since transparency is assumed to have "clear" as
> it's color.

> So, we skipped transparency and went with "preprinted" paper type, and
> this worked. However, we still got the banner page.

> So why didn't our MEDIUM_COLOR statement work? Why can't we defeat the
> banner page in this way? Any help appreciated...

Using PJL with Docucenter 4xx

Post by Mark Landi » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:52:24

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:32:35 -0400, "Spamless"

>(why couldn't Xerox be nice and
>use the commands that already exist in the PCL command set to control
>paper type, instead of kludge up their own PJL bastardization?)

>We

I guess you are a Xerox employee.

Quote:>will honer PJL or exact tray calls....(last tray call in the PCL data is
>honered). That means if you make a PJL media type call in your example....a
>following PCL data exact tray call will overide it. As Xerox offers more
>tray choices you need our guide for the extra tray commands. PCL tray calls
>are different than media type PJL commands.

We did try implementing everything in pure PCL, before we even got the
DC tip PDL reference from Xerox. Some codes were honored, others were
not. Particularly, the codes in PCL relating to media selection were
not honored. I imagine this is because of device-dependent
implementatino of PCL.

Quote:>Don't blame Xerox for that bastardization....tis HP that owns PCL!!!!

It's my understanding that Xerox is responsible for the PJL described
in the DC Tip PDL reference.

Do you have any insight into why the PJL I inluded below isn't
working?

>> Here's what we were trying to do:
>> print on "transparency" with color "clear", with no banner page.

>> Here's the PJL we thought should work:

>> Results were: printed on plain white paper, with banner page.

>> If we removed the OID_ATT_DEFAULT_MEDIUM_COLOR statement, then the
>> printer WOULD require transparency as a medium type, but it would
>> request WHITE transparency! While we could very well define the tray
>> with check stock as having white transparency in it, that's an extra
>> step for the user since transparency is assumed to have "clear" as
>> it's color.

Using PJL with Docucenter 4xx

Post by Spamles » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:19:41

You should try using a 4xx PCL print driver to output the commands you want.
That's usually what I do when coding and things don't go as planned. Open up
a simple word document for test purposes and print to file with the settings
you desire. I would test print it to confirm it works as you expected and
then just copy that code for your real job.

Below are two examples from my DC470st driver using a one page word document
with the word test in it. One example uses the default driver settings for
type and color and the other has transparency and clear selected. You didn't
mention what 4xx machine you had so I just used the 470 driver I had loaded.
You would want to use the driver for your 4xx equipment of course. I snipped
of the PCL code at the end for this posting.

 E  <snipped for space>

 E  <snipped for space>

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:32:35 -0400, "Spamless"

> >(why couldn't Xerox be nice and
> >use the commands that already exist in the PCL command set to control
> >paper type, instead of kludge up their own PJL bastardization?)

> >We

> I guess you are a Xerox employee.

> >will honer PJL or exact tray calls....(last tray call in the PCL data is
> >honered). That means if you make a PJL media type call in your
example....a
> >following PCL data exact tray call will overide it. As Xerox offers more
> >tray choices you need our guide for the extra tray commands. PCL tray
calls
> >are different than media type PJL commands.

> We did try implementing everything in pure PCL, before we even got the
> DC tip PDL reference from Xerox. Some codes were honored, others were
> not. Particularly, the codes in PCL relating to media selection were
> not honored. I imagine this is because of device-dependent
> implementatino of PCL.

> >Don't blame Xerox for that bastardization....tis HP that owns PCL!!!!

> It's my understanding that Xerox is responsible for the PJL described
> in the DC Tip PDL reference.

> Do you have any insight into why the PJL I inluded below isn't
> working?

> >> Here's what we were trying to do:
> >> print on "transparency" with color "clear", with no banner page.

> >> Here's the PJL we thought should work:

> >> Results were: printed on plain white paper, with banner page.

> >> If we removed the OID_ATT_DEFAULT_MEDIUM_COLOR statement, then the
> >> printer WOULD require transparency as a medium type, but it would
> >> request WHITE transparency! While we could very well define the tray
> >> with check stock as having white transparency in it, that's an extra
> >> step for the user since transparency is assumed to have "clear" as
> >> it's color.

Using PJL with Docucenter 4xx

Post by Mark Landi » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:16:07

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 05:19:41 -0400, "Spamless"

>You should try using a 4xx PCL print driver to output the commands you want.
>That's usually what I do when coding and things don't go as planned. Open up
>a simple word document for test purposes and print to file with the settings
>you desire. I would test print it to confirm it works as you expected and
>then just copy that code for your real job.

Good idea. Thanks!