DWG Projection

Post by mfh » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 05:46:07

I have a DWG file, I want to overlay its content on an existing
projection. How can I do that ?

thanks for your help

DWG Projection

Post by Adaman » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:41:54

Create a world file in notepad.

Here is generally how it works... Create a text file with the same filename
as your AutoCAD drawing but use the extension "wld".  The world file needs
to be in the same directory as your AutoCAD drawing.  In that file you need
to specify the coordinates in AutoCAD space that align with Geographic
space.  You must specify two points.  I usually pick something like a road
intersection or some other feature that I can check.  Sometimes it takes a
few modifications to the world file to get it right on.  Also, if you do not
strictly follow the formatting guidelines, the transformation will not work.
The world file two-point transformation must be formatted as follows: (from
pg 315 of "Using Arc View GIS" by the ESRI press)

<X,Y point in CAD drawing> <space> <X,Y point in geographic space>
<X,Y point in CAD drawing> <space> <X,Y point in geographic space>

A sample file with two points looks like the following:

1480853.2017,483076.8691 203502.46,702948.24
1488887.0344,472292.2646 205941.61,699645.47

Be sure to get your commas and decimals right and make sure there are no
other extraneous characters in the file.  Good luck.

Adam

DWG Projection

Post by hsueh.. » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:36:32

You can save it as a *dxf file, then use arcview to open it.
You can keep all the coordinate info by doing so.

> I have a DWG file, I want to overlay its content on an existing
> projection. How can I do that ?

> thanks for your help

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

DWG Projection

Post by mfh » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 01:49:28

The world file methods worked just fine.

thanks

> I have a DWG file, I want to overlay its content on an existing
> projection. How can I do that ?

> thanks for your help

1. Correcting Projections - Projection Utility not working

Hi All,

I'm using ArcView 3.2 and I'm have difficulties with projections.  I
have received some files from a Federal Agency, some in .shp others
in .e00 format.  When I converted the .e00 files, I ended up with
choices of polygon, arc, labelpoint, annotation, and route.xxxx, all in
one .shp folder.  However, the .shp and converted .e00 files don't
align correctly.  The larger problem though is when I try to use the AV
Projection Utility, I get an error message saying that the file (the
converted .e00) "cannot be loaded because of an incompatibility problem
with the file format or projection information.  The file will be
skipped."  So, how am I supposed to get these files to project/align
correctly.

Thanks again,
Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ARP error on MAC address

3. Pasting DXF or DWG Files in Excel

4. BGP Intervals for addvertisement

5. Send AutoCAD DWG files to XY flame cutting table

6. OFFERED SOFTWARE VENTURE CAPITAL

7. Creating a pdf fil from a dwg fil

8. Servers

9. PDF to DXF, DWG or DGN

10. dwg

11. DWG to PDF

12. AutoCAD .DWG to PDF freeware (update)

13. How to convert Autocad R12 dwg files to PDF?