Polylines to polygons?

Post by Doc » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hello

tried all I can to find a way of turning a polyline dwg/dxf from CAD into a
polygon shapefile in Arcview - no joy!  I'd be grateful for any ideas how
this miht be achioved.

Thanks

Mark

Polylines to polygons?

Post by Stefan Rung » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Try to load the CAD-REader Extension. Then add a CAD-Theme with Polygons by
clicking "Add Theme" then in the File-Open-Dialog single click on the
folder-icon left to the DXF-File. This will open a "submenu" with the
different shape-types. Select "polygon".
Then click Theme->Convert to Shapefile. This will convert the polygons to a
real ArcView ShapeFile.

Hope this helps.

stefan.

Quote:> Hello

> tried all I can to find a way of turning a polyline dwg/dxf from CAD into
> polygon shapefile in Arcview - no joy!  I'd be grateful for any ideas how
> this miht be achioved.

> Thanks

> Mark

Polylines to polygons?

Post by Michael Colavit » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:16:08

Mark,

Stefan is correct in what he decribes.  However, your CAD data will only have
polygons in it, if the CAD polylines are single, perfectly closed polylines.
If not, you will have to either manually edit them in CAD or in AV.

Mike Colavito

> Hello

> tried all I can to find a way of turning a polyline dwg/dxf from CAD into a
> polygon shapefile in Arcview - no joy!  I'd be grateful for any ideas how
> this miht be achioved.

> Thanks

> Mark

1. A Newby's problem: polyline to polygon

Hi All!

I have a typical newby's question: I had maps in *.dxf already
converted into *.shp but as polylines. How can I create polygons
from them in ArcView 3.1?

thanks

balu

2. Flash memory on m500?

3. Polygons and polylines

4. Autolisp Program

5. Assistance to clip polygon with a polyline

6. FS: Epson Stylus 800 B & W printer

7. AV: Polylines Segmented by Polygons

8. Can't close application

9. AV: Polygon inside a polygon

10. Multi-polygon from individual polygons

11. Intellicad PolyLine and LineTypes

12. Drawing Thick Polyline in Palm