Drenage system

Post by max » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:31:08

Is it possible with ArcView to calculate automatically the drenage
system starting from the elevation map?
ciao

maxo

--
********************
        maXo

********************

Drenage system

Post by Bart Adriaans » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:40:39

Sort of:

You need to buy the spatial analyst extension and i think there are some
free additional scripts for downloading for hydrological modelling.

Also, check out www.esri.com/arcscripts/ (if i remember correctly)

Then still, this analysis is not trivial and the network you generate is not
allways correct due to details in the terrain that are not visible at the
DEM's resolution.

Good luck with your quest.

Bart Adriaanse,
DEMIS bv
http://www2.demis.nl/mapserver/

> Is it possible with ArcView to calculate automatically the drenage
> system starting from the elevation map?
> ciao

> maxo

> --
> ********************
>         maXo

> ********************

Drenage system

Post by Heinz-Josef Lückin » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:08:08

have a look on 'surfer', www.goldensoftware.com

> Is it possible with ArcView to calculate automatically the drenage
> system starting from the elevation map?
> ciao

> maxo

> --
> ********************
>         maXo

> ********************

Drenage system

Post by max » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:50:49

> have a look on 'surfer', www.goldensoftware.com

> > Is it possible with ArcView to calculate automatically the drenage
> > system starting from the elevation map?

We have this software! Haw can I use it to get the drainage system?

--

Drenage system

Post by Stefano Menichett » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:16:55

Yes, with Spatial Analist Extension there are some requests to grid object
that do this.

Ciao,

Stefano

> Is it possible with ArcView to calculate automatically the drenage
> system starting from the elevation map?
> ciao

> maxo

> --
> ********************
>         maXo

> ********************

Drenage system

Post by Mitch Wolber » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:47:31

You can use the Vector option under Map to draw downhill arrows from
your elevation grid.

Another option is RockWorks99, it also does the slope analysis. Next
year we'll be adding a function for drawing a drainage net from your
elevation grids. We used to do it in our old DOS product but never got
around to adding it in Windows.

Mitch Wolberg,
RockWare, Inc.
Developemnt and Distribution of Earth Science Software
Catalog - http://www.rockware.com/

> > have a look on 'surfer', www.goldensoftware.com

> > > Is it possible with ArcView to calculate automatically the drenage
> > > system starting from the elevation map?

> We have this software! Haw can I use it to get the drainage system?

> --

Drenage system

Post by Greg Pelletie » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 16:26:40

The best description I've found for how to use Arcview and Arcinfo GIS with
DEM data to delineate watersheds and streams was done by Francisco Olivera
at the University of Texas. There is an excellent tutorial with an
innovative method to "burn in the streams" at this web site:

http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/maidment/gishyd97/class/urubamba/peru.htm

Greg Pelletier