Determining Bottom of Slope

Post by Michael Poo » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

    I am attempting to model prehistoric agriculture and need to identify areas
that are at the base of slopes as these would be ideal places for run-off
agricultural fields.  I am using Arcview and Spatial Analyst and have identified
areas with slope <= 5% but this includes areas on top of ridges and hills, as
well as those at the base of slopes.  Is there any way using map query to
identify these areas or any scripts or extensions to do it?

--
Michael Pool, RPA
Anthropology/Geography Department

Determining Bottom of Slope

Post by Willem van Deurse » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:56:02

You might want to add some characterisation of the amount of upstream
elements for each cell. Cells with more upstream areas are more likely
to be at the bottoms of the slope than the cells with less upstream
elements. To calculate upstream elements check the hydrology options of
the Spatial Analyst, or check www.pcraster.nl for alternative
approaches.

Willem van Deursen

--
WPA van Deursen
Carthago Consultancy

1. AI Top-down, Robotics Bottom-up (Was: Bottom-up evolution...)

Imagine a Corps of Army Engineers who are eager to build a bridge
but who must first toss a grappling hook until it stretches taut.

In similar fashion, mindmakers find a basic skeletal structure of
the brain-mind and display it on the Internet so that a bottom-up
process can occur of many independent AI toilers fleshing out the
initial framework, the overview created by Chomskyan linguistics:

  /^^^^^^^^^^^\ Top-down Overview; Details on WWW /^^^^^^^^^^^\
 /visual memory\           ________   semantic   /  auditory   \
|      /--------|-------\ / syntax \  memory    |episodic memory|
|      |  recog-|nition | \________/<-----------|------------\  |
|   ___|___     |       |      |flush-vector    |    ______  |  |
|  /image  \    |    ___V______V_  word-fetch   |   /      \ |  |
| / percept \<--|-->/ library of \--------------|->/ stored \|  |
| \ engrams /   |   \  concepts  / for thinking |  \ words  /   |
|  \_______/    |    \__________/  in language  |   \______/    |

http://www.newciv.org/Mentifex/ run periodic Mentifex Web search.
http://www.complex.com.pl/~venom/science.html details of diagram.

2. Springboard Flash memory modules

3. OP8 sloped my scanned document.

4. stop/start website via cmd line.

5. Slope function in Excel macro

6. GForce030EC upgrade

7. Excel - Slope function

8. What am I missing with Ultima3

9. QPW 5.0 @slope bug

10. Slope of Lines in Excell 5.0

11. Glide slope

12. Navigation Tutorial - Glide Slope Approaches added!

13. ILS glide slope not linear ????