How to Pan Left, Right, Up, or Down?

Post by Sandra Mille » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:12:41

Does anyone know of a script (or other means) to pan to the left, right, up,
or down in an ArcView window? When editing, I would like to be able to
systematically edit one area, then shift my view area exactly one window in
one of the four directions to the next area.

Thanks in advance for your help.

How to Pan Left, Right, Up, or Down?

Post by gisdud » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 04:35:33

I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to be sure that you
are aware that you can right-click while editing and get a few options
for moving around your data.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:> Does anyone know of a script (or other means) to pan to the left,
right, up,
> or down in an ArcView window? When editing, I would like to be able to
> systematically edit one area, then shift my view area exactly one
window in
> one of the four directions to the next area.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

How to Pan Left, Right, Up, or Down?

Post by Sandra Mille » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:48:03

Thanks for the right-click suggestion. I didn't know about it but it doesn't
do what I'd like. I want to be able to move an entire window, kind of like a
page up, down, left or right.

How to Pan Left, Right, Up, or Down?

Post by Marc » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 12:34:41

Suzzan,
you do know about the hand on the third menu line don't you?  If on the
other hand you are trying to use arcview like you can use autocad, then
no there is no exact way to automatically adjust except to open a new
view, copy and paste themes into the new view and focus into the new
area.  This way, you can see both areas.

Marcus

How to Pan Left, Right, Up, or Down?

Post by Sandra Mille » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:55:09

Marcus:

Thanks for the "hand" suggestion, but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm not
an AutoCAD user, so I'm not familiar with its tools. I use a transportation
modeling program that allows you to move exactly one window up, down, left,
or right (I don't need to see more than one window at a time). I have
trouble understanding why Arcview can't do something so simple.

Post by Jari Siiskone » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 06:59:21

Quote:> Does anyone know of a script (or other means) to pan to the left, right,
up,
> or down in an ArcView window? When editing, I would like to be able to
> systematically edit one area, then shift my view area exactly one window
in
> one of the four directions to the next area.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Sandra

I read your original post and looks like you are
still looking for this functionality..

This can be made quite easily with Avenue (ArcView scripting).

I don't know if this is already implemented in some free extension..
but here is the idea:
' -- Script begins.. --
theView = av.GetActiveDoc
theDisplay = theView.GetDisplay
theRect = theDisplay.ReturnVisExtent
strDirection=Msgbox.ListAsString(
  {"left","right","up","down"},
  "Direction", "Move dsiplay" )
if( strDirection = "left" )then
  moveX = -(theRect.GetWidth)
  moveY = 0
elseif( strDirection = "right" )then
  moveX = theRect.GetWidth
  moveY = 0
elseif( strDirection = "up" )then
  moveX = 0
  moveY = theRect.GetHeight
elseif( strDirection = "down" )then
  moveX = 0
  moveY = -(theRect.GetHeight)
end
theRect = theRect.Move( moveX, moveY )
theDisplay.SetExtent( theRect )
theView.Invalidate
' -- End of script --

(put it in the View's popup menu for example or
 arrow buttons on the buttonbar)

I would consider using some kind of an 'index grid'
that you can use to zoomin to the exact tile that you are working with,
and when you've done the edits on the area, you could mark it as completed,
and zoom to any incomplete tile on the index..

--
Jari

How to Pan Left, Right, Up, or Down?

Post by Sandra Mille » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:03:59

Jari:

Thanks very much for your help! It is exactly what I was looking for.

Sandra