SDTS-DXF Conversion problem

Post by Rich Gree » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:58:03

To All,

We have been using the SDTS-DXF conversion program by Sol Katz version
.003 to convert 1:24K DLG files for use in CAD and ultimately for
importing into ArcView.  I have a hypsography file here now that will
not convert for some reason.

I keep getting the message "error reading data record subfield". I have
converted hundreds of these files with this same DOS program in the past
but this particular file is acting up for some reason. Interestingly, it
does go ahead and convert partially.  I can import the resulting dxf
file into AV but there is quite a bit of contour data missing.  The .dxf
file won't open in any of the CAD software we use.

At first, I thought the USGS file was corrupted; however, I downloaded
it from another source and have the same results.  Either the same file
is corrupted on separate servers or there is something unique about this
particular file?

Can anyone recommend another SDTS-DXF converter?  I'm at a bit of a loss
as to what to try next?  I really need this hypsography layer to
complete a map I'm creating.  As always, any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research

SDTS-DXF Conversion problem

Post by RSanto » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:54:13

Rich
I don't really have a fix for you, but I do have one possible reason why
this is a problem:  the SDTS has been tweeked (read changed) a little here
and there over time.  Frankly, I miss the DLG formats that were easy to read
and use!  A few years back a friend of mine told me that his s/w company was
waiting to develop and SDTS conversion routine because the standard "just
wasn't there yet."

Sorry to be less help (NO HELP) in solving your problem.

Ron Santos

Quote:> To All,

> We have been using the SDTS-DXF conversion program by Sol Katz version
> .003 to convert 1:24K DLG files for use in CAD and ultimately for
> importing into ArcView.  I have a hypsography file here now that will
> not convert for some reason.

> I keep getting the message "error reading data record subfield". I have
> converted hundreds of these files with this same DOS program in the past
> but this particular file is acting up for some reason. Interestingly, it
> does go ahead and convert partially.  I can import the resulting dxf
> file into AV but there is quite a bit of contour data missing.  The .dxf
> file won't open in any of the CAD software we use.

> At first, I thought the USGS file was corrupted; however, I downloaded
> it from another source and have the same results.  Either the same file
> is corrupted on separate servers or there is something unique about this
> particular file?

> Can anyone recommend another SDTS-DXF converter?  I'm at a bit of a loss
> as to what to try next?  I really need this hypsography layer to
> complete a map I'm creating.  As always, any advice will be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Rich Green
> Historic Archaeological Research
> 4338 Hadley Court
> West Lafayette, IN 47906
> Office: (765) 464-8735
> Home: (765) 464-8095
> http://www.har-indy.com

1. DLG/SDTS-DXF Conversion?

Anyone know if a conversion utility exists to convert vector DLG SDTS datasets
to .dxf format for manipulation in a CAD software environment?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research
4338 Hadley Court
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Office: (765) 464-8735
Home: (765) 464-8095
http://www.har-indy.com

2. windows file protection

3. Conversion *.pdf to *.dxf

4. -= Apple IIgs Hardware/Software Sale =-

5. DXF file format (CAD) conversion app?

6. FS: A2000, TBC4, SCSI Controllers, & more! (UPDATE)

7. DXF conversion from polygon meshes

8. German Omicron Basic ?

9. Shapefile/Coverage to DXF-Conversion

10. DEM and DLG in SDTS