ArcView and projections

Post by Mark Cederhol » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Go to your View properties to set the desired projection.

-- Mark

"We must cease confusing mastery of software commands with
attaining a grasp of critical intellectual concepts."
-- Duane F. Marble

ArcView and projections

Post by Dmc43 » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Another ArcView question.  I use both MapInfo and ArcView.  Being that I am
>at the USGS, most of the maps we create (internally) are in lat/long (or
>geographic).  When in MapInfo, the full US coverage looks pretty good. But,
>when I look at the US in ArcView, as above (lat/long, DD, Miles), it seems
>like it is elongated.  The US looks like it is squished in the horizontal and
>stretched in the vertical.  Has anyone else noticed/come across this, and
>know why?  Is there a way to correct this?  We won't use AV because of this,
>we may have to stick with MI in all our apps.

I have noticed this too when I import USGS quad images in the DD projection.  I
need to keep it in this projection for well searches using Lat and Long to find
the wells.  Unfortunately it looks pretty bad.  I would normally use UTM 18 (in
PA) but the well searches don't  work in this projection.  Oh well!!
Dan

ArcView and projections

Post by James D Barr » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Scott:

According to the docs, when DD unprojected data
is displayed in an unprojected View, AV uses
the Plate-Carree projection to get your spherical
data to the flattish monitor.  Now, while P-C
distorts all four map properties (S.A.D.D),
it does display those DD spherical coordinates
in a nice flat cartesian coordinate system
which is the coordinate pattern behind the
View display.

If you are using DD unprojected data in an
unprojected View display, then you'll get
(and deserve) a squished map.

Set the View projection, or project the data
at the source, and the map will look almost
any way you want it to look.

- JB

1. Tiger 95 Projection File - ArcView/Metadata

Anyone have the complete projection information for the TIGER/Line 95
files available for download from ADOL?

Is the projection data different from county to county and if so where
is the metadata that describes each county?

If not does any one have a .prj file the describes the ArcView
projjection utility import parameters for TIGER files?

TIA

--
Systems Analyst - GIS, SQL, VB, VBA, Office
Air Pollution Control District

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. OCI or Pro*c for database schema management

3. ArcView Projection Utility - Command Line Units Out?

4. Nikon Coolscan IV color adjustment

5. mapinfo to arcview Projection!

6. IPv6

7. ArcView Everest Mercator projection: reproducibility in Fortran/C

8. shape/theme projections in arcview

9. ArcView/Projections

10. Gauss projection in Arcview?

11. Reverse Projection in ArcView

12. Q:Re-Projection in ArcView/MapObject