ESRI and its competitors

Post by Wayne Gretzk » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

As a follow up to my last message, my focus is on which companies are
targeting universities, colleges and technical institutes with their
software.  I am aware that ESRI seems to own the market in the States but am
wondering who the underdogs may be and also who has a presence in Canada and
Mexico.

I am trying to compare various academic programs that each company offers,
specifically for the following software:

Remote Sensing
Digital Photogrammetry
GIS
Mapping
Image Visualization

Thanks again for any input,

Brent

ESRI and its competitors

Post by Mark Cederhol » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>As a follow up to my last message, my focus is on which companies are
>targeting universities, colleges and technical institutes with their
>software.  I am aware that ESRI seems to own the market in the States but
am
>wondering who the underdogs may be and also who has a presence in Canada
and
>Mexico.

As a good all-around competitive GIS package that does vector, raster, and
image processing (including stereo pairs), check out tntMips:

http://www.microimages.com/

Also, Idrisi is a very nice, inexpensive little raster GIS/image processing
package (I use it myself):

http://www.clarklabs.org/

-- Mark

"A flat world was ours and everything in it had a name once and all the
names were ours once.  With perspective, names escape from the paper and
scatter into the minds of men so they can never be held down again."
-- William S. Burroughs, The Western Lands

ESRI and its competitors

Post by Mark » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Here in Manitoba we have what may be a fairly unique situation.  All 6
colleges and universities have formed a consortium (the Manitoba Educational
Geographic Information systems Consortium - or MEGIC for short-) where we
have pooled our resources and negotiated a province wide site license for
ESRI software.  As I was one of the people on the negotiating team I am
quite proud of the results, and think it was a particularily successful
demonstration of co-operation amongst the 6 institutions.

Our academic year, and the first year of the consortium, is just coming to a
close and I believe that it was a very successful first year of what is
hoped to be a long term relationship with ESRI.

Mark Shymanski
Instructor
Red River College
Winnipeg

>As a follow up to my last message, my focus is on which companies are
>targeting universities, colleges and technical institutes with their
>software.  I am aware that ESRI seems to own the market in the States but
am
>wondering who the underdogs may be and also who has a presence in Canada
and
>Mexico.

>I am trying to compare various academic programs that each company offers,
>specifically for the following software:

>Remote Sensing
>Digital Photogrammetry
>GIS
>Mapping
>Image Visualization

>Thanks again for any input,

>Brent

1. map web site : http://maps.esri.com/ESRI/arcview/world/world.html

Hi there,
I'm learning a way to realize an on line site like
this example from ESSRI...

http://maps.esri.com/ESRI/arcview/world/world.html

Could anyone explain me how this site is realized ?

I think there is a connection between visual basic, arcview,
and a map database, but I don't know exactly how does it function...

can anyone help me how to build a similar site ?

thanks in advance,

Nico

2. Echoing on T1's

3. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

4. OpenDSObject WinNT Provider

5. Any Strobe Pro competitors out there?

6. D3D problem

7. We NEED Xbox competitors...

8. CFP: Special session on Swarm Intelligence at CEC 2003

9. Can someone tell me of any Excel competitors?

10. US FIRST Competitors

11. Mitee 8 micromouse competitor

12. Announcing LZRW3-A: A competitor to Unix compress?