convert lines to points: script or other method?

convert lines to points: script or other method?

Post by Z. Christm » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:00:43

Hello.  I'm working with topo maps digitized in AutoCAD2000 and hoping to
import my contour lines into ArcView.  So far, so good, on that front;
however, based upon my desire to interpolate the surface in a curveous,
natural way, rather than in the form of a TIN, it seems likely that I'll
need to convert my data from line shapefiles into points and then
interpolate the surface.  What I'm looking for is a script or other
efficient method (either in AutoCAD or ArcView 3.1 with 3D Analyst and
Spacial Analyst) to convert my AutoCAD dwg files > line theme shapefiles
 into point theme shapefiles.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Zach

convert lines to points: script or other method?

Post by Thomas Gaudic » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 05:17:44

I once had to do the same procedure, and i've found a script in esris's page
(www.esri.com). I dont have the script now, but you can download it. At
some point the script will ask you the distance between pointss in the same
line, be careful not to exegerate, it took me abount 8 hours in a simple
file. The final result was very good.

Good luck

Thomas

PS-if you don't find the script, mail me and i'll get it from work.

Quote:> Hello.  I'm working with topo maps digitized in AutoCAD2000 and hoping to