WGS84 projection

Post by lcsia » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:59:14

I need some info on WGS84 projection, I received some files in these
projection, I tried to use the projector extension in AcView but cannot find
the option

WGS84 projection

Post by Michael Schnirc » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:04:10

WGS84 (World Geodetic System) is not a projection but a geographic datum,
i.e. it describes some fundamental parameters regarding coordinate system,
origin, ellipsoid etc. which are used in a projection. Therefore your
shapefiles will not be in WGS84 but rather in UTM or latlong or whatever,
based on WGS84 parameters. You will first have to figure out your projection
and then specify the datum as WGS84 in the advanced options of the AV
projection dialog.

Hope that helps.

Micha

Quote:> I need some info on WGS84 projection, I received some files in these
> projection, I tried to use the projector extension in AcView but cannot
find
> the option

1. Correcting Projections - Projection Utility not working

Hi All,

I'm using ArcView 3.2 and I'm have difficulties with projections.  I
have received some files from a Federal Agency, some in .shp others
in .e00 format.  When I converted the .e00 files, I ended up with
choices of polygon, arc, labelpoint, annotation, and route.xxxx, all in
one .shp folder.  However, the .shp and converted .e00 files don't
align correctly.  The larger problem though is when I try to use the AV
Projection Utility, I get an error message saying that the file (the
converted .e00) "cannot be loaded because of an incompatibility problem
with the file format or projection information.  The file will be
skipped."  So, how am I supposed to get these files to project/align
correctly.

Thanks again,
Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Speculations/Predictions (was Re: PowerPC vs. Intel x86)

3. Datum conversion: WGS84 <--> NAD83

4. Router config steps ?

5. UTM to WGS84 and vice-versa

6. dithering

7. Lambert I into WGS84 ??

8. mysql and large size dbs

9. Scanning a Projection

10. Projection question

11. HDTV projection

12. FORSALE: Metrologic MS-700 Projection Scanner

13. Digital Projection - File format & Size?