Converting AutoCAD files into shape files

Converting AutoCAD files into shape files

Post by Mark Cederhol » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using MapObjects and I have to use some Auto-CAD files. Since
>MapObjects can only use ArcView shape files, how can I convert AutoCAD
>files into ArcView shape files? Do I need any special software? Can I do
>that with ArcInfo? Can I do that with ArcView? ( I don't think so...)

The free CAD reader for ArcView allows you to convert .DWG files to
shapefiles; just open it as a theme, make it active, and click the "Convert
to Shapefile" menu entry.  It works for r13, anyway -- it may not accept
r14.

--Mark

1. Convert Autocad Dwg to Editable Shape File

I have an AutoCAD, version 14 drawing file that I need to convert to shape
files that I can edit and then export to another program that uses shape
files. The drawing file was originally created with AutoCAD 2000 but saved
in version 14 format; it may or may not have elevations (i.,e, be 3
dimensional). I've tried using ArcView's Cad extension to bring in the DWG
file and then using arcview to convert it to a shape file. However this
creates a shape file that I can not edit and the theme's properties says
it's ArcZ - something I'm not familiar with.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Memorex 1622 and 80 Min

3. Shape Files/AutoCAD/Geographix CDF/Landmark ASCII

4. UML for Java Programmers

5. How to convert Autocad R12 dwg files to PDF?

6. Hardware Settings

7. convert Autocad to Visio file

8. Need a couple of testers for openvms-managers list

9. when we convert a .visio file to Autocad.dwg the picture does not get impoerted

10. converting Autocad Map 2000i topology / data to Arcview rel 3.2 shape format

11. A question about converting AutoCad files in ArcView

12. Has anyone try to output an AutoCAD *.DWG file to a *.PDF files

13. DBF files associated with SHAPE files