Need GIS Data Sources for Petroleum Pipelines

Need GIS Data Sources for Petroleum Pipelines

Post by Phil E. Lamp » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:17:32

Does anyone know where I can find GIS data on the distribution of
petroleum via pipeline in the U.S.?  If you've seen my previous (dated
Nov. 9) post re: Oilfield Data, I've looked through all of those
recommended sites and didn't see anything related to pipelines.

Thanks in advance for your help...

--
Phil E. Lampe
Technical Illustrator

Need GIS Data Sources for Petroleum Pipelines

Post by Paul Irwi » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I don't know of any public sector data, but you might try www.penwell.com or
www.gri.org .

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can find GIS data on the distribution of

Post by Bob Heitzma » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:26:41

> Does anyone know where I can find GIS data on the distribution of
> petroleum via pipeline in the U.S.?  If you've seen my previous (dated
> Nov. 9) post re: Oilfield Data, I've looked through all of those
> recommended sites and didn't see anything related to pipelines.

Try search the web for "terrorist targets GIS maps".

(Note for NSA analyst: just kidding!)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Need GIS Data Sources for Petroleum Pipelines

Post by jzo.. » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

My company is developing a web service where we deliver the experience
of driving around a neighborhood, on the web. To capture the
neighborhood, we drive specially equipped cars (roof mounted video
cameras and gps receivers) around a neighborhood.  The virtual car tour
experience is similar. You start by connecting to our company's website
and then continue by locating a neighborhood on a map. You then select
(on the map) the neighborhood that you want to 'tour'. As the tour
starts, you see video of the drive (one view from the leftside, right
side, front or back or front). The video is synchronized (by GPS
position of the car) to another application (we're thinking about using
Mapguide) that displays an animated car moving along a detailed map.

Is Mapguide an appropriate platform for developing this service? My
concern is the refresh rate of the animated car's position (once every
second). Given that this update (I believe), will require that the
Mapguide Viewer (client ) communicate with the Mapguide Server...we're
concerned about network latencies. Is this a valid concern? If it is,
is there any way to redraw the car without going to the server. I guess
what I'm  thinking is that if we know where the map is located on the
screen...and if we know the scale of the map..and the new (lat,long) of
the car...why can't we write a program to 'overlay' (on the client
side)?

Thanks for your help!

Jack Zoken
President
Whitegold Solutions, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Need GIS Data Sources for Petroleum Pipelines

Post by James Macgil » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>  I guess
> > what I'm  thinking is that if we know where the map is located on the
> > screen...and if we know the scale of the map..and the new (lat,long) of
> > the car...why can't we write a program to 'overlay' (on the client
> > side)?

Sorry to jump in here quite late on but I thought you might be interested in a
quick demo
http://www.ccg.leeds.ac.uk/geotools/demos/gps/

The dot on the map is the only thing being updated every second, in this demo
the location for the point is coming from
http://www.ccg.leeds.ac.uk/jbin/servlet/ObjectPosition

Which is just generating random co-ordinates similar to the last position, but
it gets the idea over.

The map in the background is coming from a set of shapefiles (a vector format)
but it would also be possible to pull a map from any wms
for example
http://www.ccg.leeds.ac.uk/geotools/demos/wmt
Which pulls maps from the server mentioned by Bart.

James

--
James Macgill
Centre for Computational Geography

1. Requirement for GIS source data

I am in the process of developing an Atlas application for the Psion Series5
handheld. My intention is to have bitmaps, at various zoom levels (ranging
from whole world to individual countries/provinces), containing physical
features (land/water boundaries, rivers etc.) over which I may place names
of sites or draw political boundaries.

Pursuant to this I am seeking:

1) Sources from which I may develop the bitmaps of physical features (though
I recognise this may well be easiest performed by tracing hard-copy atlas
features)

and more importantly

2) Sources from which I may develop a database containing latitude and
longitude data for:

    a) Points (e.g. Cities, Towns, Historical Sites)

    b) Sets of latitude/longitude points from which boundaries may be drawn
(e.g. present day Iran, extent of Persia under the Sassanid empie)

As you may have noted from the above I am interested in such data for both
present day locations and historical locations.

The target project is evisaged to be freeware so it would be helpful if the
data is 'public domain' or the copyright owner is amenable to distribution -
in either case citations of the source will be liberally sprinkled around
the application.

Anyone who feels they could be of assistance please e-mail me direct at

Thanks in anticipation,

        Steve Gillam

2. Utility to compare IDE hard drive performance ?

3. Data Corruption w/Data Pipeline (Watcom)

4. Access VMS temp files

5. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

6. CfP: Workshop on Interpreters, Virtual Machines & Emulators (San Diego, June 03)

7. NEED Reliable Puerto Rico GIS Data

8. Epson printer head blockage

9. New Data at GIS Data Depot

10. Is GPF in PBSHR040.DLL using Pipeline with Text Source Fixed in 4.0.3 ??

11. Data Pipeline Problem

12. Data Pipeline

13. Data-Pipelines (currupt in .exe ?)