Open Access Form with Avenue

Post by edf.. » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:32:23

I am looking for a script that will open an access form for a record when a
point is selected on a shapefile theme.

I know it can be done using DDE but have not found it, and my Avenue
experience is very limited.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post by edf.. » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 01:46:07

I am looking for a script that will open an access form for a record when a
point is selected on a shapefile theme.

I know it can be done using DDE but have not found it, and my Avenue
experience is very limited.

Any help would be appreciated.

Open Access Form with Avenue

Post by Bruce Dodso » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:33:33

You might find it easier to do this kind of thing with COM rather than with
DDE.  After all, the DDE interface to Access is showing its age and the COM
interface is better documented.

To manipulate COM objects from ArcView, you can use AVPython.  AVPython
works by embedding a second scripting language within ArcView (one in which
COM objects appear as native objects, much like in VBScript).

AVPython is free software.  You can get it at:
http://www.geocities.com/brucedodson.rm/software.htm

You may also need the Python language runtime engine:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

Cheers,
Bruce

Quote:> I am looking for a script that will open an access form for a record when
> point is selected on a shapefile theme.

> I know it can be done using DDE but have not found it, and my Avenue
> experience is very limited.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Open Access Form with Avenue

Post by Mark Phillip » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 02:47:50

Didn't know about this product.  Sounds like a really good idea for an
ambitious project, but if you want just simple communications between AV and
Access, it might be a little overboard.  DDE is antique but adequate for firing
up a form within Access and even transferring data for a new record or updating
an existing one.

DBName = "MyData"
AccessPath = "C:\"
AccessDatabase = "MyData.mdb"
aDDEClient = DDEClient.Make("MSAccess",DBName)
if (aDDEClient.HasError) then
  system.execute(AccessPath + " " + AccessDatabase)
  aDDEClient = DDEClient.Make("MSAccess",DBName)
  if (aDDEClient.HasError) then
    MsgBox.Error("Unable to locate database.","")
    exit
  end
end

aDDEClient.Execute("[RunMacro Activate]")
aDDEClient.Execute("[OpenForm frmFormName,,,,,,'" + sztemp + "']")
aDDEClient.Close

where szTemp contains args to hand to the Form_Load event of frmFormName.  At
this point you can do whatever you want in vba to set up your form.

--
Mark Phillips
Senior Software Engineer

405.325.3131 ext 237
www.geo.ou.edu

1. Opening Outlook Mailto: from a form page and include form in body

I have a form that was designed to be printed and faxed.
Now I want that form when filled in - to be sent as an
email, with the to: filled in. I use fp2000, IE 6.0 and
outlook. Currently, I can select all, copy and paste into
body, after I open a new mail message. I would like to
have the user select a button and have the email either
open with the entire form in the body or internally submit
and send the email. Is there a way to use cdonts within
this page to include the entire form in the body?

Please see www.faxfoodorder.com/faxform.htm.

Thanks for the help!

Larry

2. Saving a DC as a bitmap?

3. Access forms to PDF forms?

4. Network AntiVirus Software

5. Access frontend Sql 2000 Server ODBC - Access Form loading slow

6. PAK/UNPAK Utility

7. joining points to form line in ArcView / Avenue

8. Exit TCMD32 (Win95) & List

9. Can I access table records more efficiently in avenue ?

10. Opening a file depending on a form field

11. Form data disappears if the open window in browser options is unchecked

12. FDF generated PDF-Form opens Acrobat Reader AND Browser Plugin