Correcting Projections - Projection Utility not working

Correcting Projections - Projection Utility not working

Post by vitoacco.. » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I'm using ArcView 3.2 and I'm have difficulties with projections.  I
have received some files from a Federal Agency, some in .shp others
in .e00 format.  When I converted the .e00 files, I ended up with
choices of polygon, arc, labelpoint, annotation, and route.xxxx, all in
one .shp folder.  However, the .shp and converted .e00 files don't
align correctly.  The larger problem though is when I try to use the AV
Projection Utility, I get an error message saying that the file (the
converted .e00) "cannot be loaded because of an incompatibility problem
with the file format or projection information.  The file will be
skipped."  So, how am I supposed to get these files to project/align
correctly.

Thanks again,
Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Correcting Projections - Projection Utility not working

Post by Peter Hall » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:39:04

In all likelihood, in the directory / folder created by importing the .E00
file, there is a file prj.adf ... a projection file.  This is a text file,
which you can read, and defines the projection details of the source
cover.

ArcView can only really handle objects that are in a non-projection - ie
spherical coordinates of decimal degrees in longitude and latitude.  It
cannot, unlike Arc/Info, reproject an object which is already projected.

After examining the prj file you may be able to use the ArcView
Projection Utility extension to get the object back into DD ... or you may
have to go back to Arc/Info.

Peter

Quote:> Hi All,

> I'm using ArcView 3.2 and I'm have difficulties with projections.  I
> have received some files from a Federal Agency, some in .shp others
> in .e00 format.  When I converted the .e00 files, I ended up with
> choices of polygon, arc, labelpoint, annotation, and route.xxxx, all in
> one .shp folder.  However, the .shp and converted .e00 files don't
> align correctly.  The larger problem though is when I try to use the AV
> Projection Utility, I get an error message saying that the file (the
> converted .e00) "cannot be loaded because of an incompatibility problem
> with the file format or projection information.  The file will be
> skipped."  So, how am I supposed to get these files to project/align
> correctly.

> Thanks again,
> Mark

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

PPPPPH     H  | Peter Halls - University of York Computing Service -
P    P     H  |                        GIS Advisor

PPPPPJHHHHHH  | Telephone: 01904 433806  FAX: 01904 433740
P    J     H  | Smail: Computing Service,
P    J     H  |        University of York,
P    J     H  |        Heslington.
     J        |        YORK YO10 5DD
 J   J        |        England.
  JJJ   This message has the status of a private & personal communication

1. ArcView Projection Utility - Command Line Units Out?

How do I sent the Units on the output without using the wizard?  I see
I can selected the Out Coordinate System via -OC on the command line.
Do I have to live with the default Units out (Meters in my case of
26945) or can I change it to feet?
--
Systems Analyst - GIS, SQL, VB, VBA, Office
Air Pollution Control District

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. "wild card" instantiation of class template

3. Looking for image projection utility

4. anybody using DAT?

5. Does the Madcatz light gun work with projection HDTVs?

6. Sheet music?

7. Projection question

8. Scanning a Projection

9. Digital Projection - File format & Size?

10. FORSALE: Metrologic MS-700 Projection Scanner

11. HDTV projection

12. HDTV vs. NTSC / Tube vs. Projection