DBASE III .dbf File formats

Post by Peter Joi » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Can anyone direct me towards DBASE III file formats or C-Libraries to read
DBASE III files?  What about a simple utility to export the dbase file to
fixed length fields or I'll even settle for comma delimited!

Please help

Ps.  Please post a reply to this newsgroup as my mail box appears to be
     suffering from amnesia.

DBASE III .dbf File formats

Post by Gary Johns » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> Can anyone direct me towards DBASE III file formats or C-Libraries to read
> DBASE III files?  What about a simple utility to export the dbase file to
> fixed length fields or I'll even settle for comma delimited!

The SimTel collection has a whole directory devoted to dBASE stuff:
SimTel/msdos/dbase/.  The dBASE file format is documented in:

dbasefil.inf  A    3818  890816  Chart shows layout of dBASEIII file structure

C libraries (shareware, I think) include:

c2dbase1.zip  B   53781  871231  Collection of 'C' utilities for dBase III+
softc103.zip  B   82304  900514  C library of dBase/Clipper-compatible routines

A useful (and free) utility is:

dbv123.zip    B   44522  940712  DBF database file view/search utility, v1.23

It lets you view dBASE files, reports the header structure, and allows
you to edit the contents of fields.

Finally, a very good (and also free) utility for converting between
dBASE files and other file formats is:

Directory SimTel/msdos/spredsht/
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
convr501.zip  B   80233  950112  Convert dBase, ASCII-delim, fixed, 1-2-3

These are just a few of the dBASE-related files in the SimTel
collection.  You can access the SimTel collection via anonymous ftp to
its primary mirror site, oak.oakland.edu.

Gary

DBASE III .dbf File formats

Post by Mark S Wrig » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone direct me towards DBASE III file formats or C-Libraries to read
>DBASE III files?  What about a simple utility to export the dbase file to
>fixed length fields or I'll even settle for comma delimited!
>Ps.  Please post a reply to this newsgroup as my mail box appears to be
>     suffering from amnesia.

The following file at oak.oakland.edu (or your favorite SimTel mirror)
contains the format for .dbf files.  I have _never_ found any information
on .ndx formats, so hopefully you don't need that too.

SimTel/msdos/dbase/
dbasefil.inf    3818  7  890816  Chart shows layout of dBASEIII file structure

Mark.
--
The number of wolf-caused sheep deaths would have to be almost thirty times
higher than predicted before it matched the number of Montana sheep that starved

DBASE III .dbf File formats

Post by Gart » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

>> Can anyone direct me towards DBASE III file formats or C-Libraries to read
>> DBASE III files?  What about a simple utility to export the dbase file to
>> fixed length fields or I'll even settle for comma delimited!

>The SimTel collection has a whole directory devoted to dBASE stuff:
>SimTel/msdos/dbase/.  The dBASE file format is documented in:

>dbasefil.inf  A    3818  890816  Chart shows layout of dBASEIII file structure

>C libraries (shareware, I think) include:

>c2dbase1.zip  B   53781  871231  Collection of 'C' utilities for dBase III+

    In addito ion You might want to look at CodeBase by Sequitter Software.
It is a very good C/C++ Library to access Dbase and Clipper .DBF, .NDX, etc
files.

 -Garth

1. DBase III and IV .DBF and .NDX structures

I haven't been able to find a FAQ or an FTP'able info file, but I have
looked, so keep your flames to yourself. :-)

Does anyone out there have the structure for both .NDX and .DBF format
files?  I need to construct them myself (although I don't need to
further manipulate them, just create them initially).  C code would be
great, but already compiled  C libraries won;t help me much, since I'm
using an unusual C compiler.

Thanks in advance.

2. Q2002 to Money2003 Conversion - Password???

3. DBase III File Format

4. Delegating rights

5. CONVERSION OF WORDPERFECT FILES TO DBASE III FORMAT

6. Phone line problem

7. dBase III .NDX file format

8. Looking for Accessories when in Florida

9. convert 123 file to dbase III

10. Reading a dbase III file

11. Clipper/dBase III index files -- is there C code to read?

12. Structure of dBase III memo files?

13. .DBF File Format